Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
theGIG15

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

What info or story from the band's history did you only recently learn about?

Even though I've spent more than a decade around these parts, every once in a while I stumble across something from the band's history that managed to elude me over the years. And every time I do, it always gives me that pang of nostalgia for my early days of fandom when I first fell in love with the music and wanted to learn everything I could about the band...the early days in Charlottesville, the LWS saga, the aborted sessions and the near-breakups...goddamn do I miss those internet rabbit holes!

I'll start - I was today-years-old when I learned that a second Ballard album was in the works on the heels of ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
He (Glen Ballard) was slated to record another album with Dave/DMB and began that process in December, 2001. By January the decision was made to move forward from Ballard and use Stephen Harris to re-record Lillywhite Sessions tracks. The 2nd Ballard session remains one of the biggest DMB mysteries to me. The vocal take for Joyful Girl was recorded for certain, but those with direct knowledge claim that other songs were recorded, including Counting the Stars.
Credit to Xcacel for putting out this idea in the "Random dmb thoughts" thread!
theGIG15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

I feel sort of obligated to respond with some more information so here goes:

On Monday December 3rd, 2001 Dave & Glen Ballard got together at AeroWave studios in Los Angeles to record the vocal & guitar tracks for Joyful Girl. Contrary to published reports
    ( https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...franco-246362/), Soulive were not in the same studio with Dave & Ballard. According to a member of the band, Soulive were in a studio in NY.

Dave was critical of his Joyful Girl vocal take but the Soulive guys loved it. One member of Soulive recalled that Dave had told him that he was working on another album with Ballard, he wasn't just there to record for Soulive.

According to another source, Dave was in LA for about 2 weeks, between early and mid December, writing & recording with Ballard. 2 weeks is roughly the amount of time that it took Dave & Ballard to write Everyday. The same source confirmed that Joyful Girl was not the only track recorded. We know that Dave was in LA on December 3rd, and we also know that Dave performed a benefit in Beverly Hills for Neil Young on December 11th. Those two confirmed dates line up nicely.

The thing I don't know is... what else did they record? Counting the Stars & Joyful Girl for sure, but maybe/probably others? Maybe someone will fill us all in? Wish I had the answers. It's been 20 years and I think a lot of people have probably forgotten the details. I'll ask Ballard about it if I ever meet him.

Last edited by Carson31; 03-03-2021 at 09:02 AM.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

On Monday December 3rd, 2001 Dave & Glen Ballard got together at AeroWave studios in Los Angeles to record the vocal & guitar tracks for Joyful Girl. Contrary to published reports
    ( https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...franco-246362/), Soulive were not in the same studio with Dave & Ballard. According to a member of the band, Soulive were in a studio in NY.

Dave was critical of his Joyful Girl vocal take but the Soulive guys loved it. One member of Soulive recalled that Dave had told him that he was working on another album with Ballard, he wasn't just there to record for Soulive.

According to another source, Dave was in LA for about 2 weeks, between early and mid December, writing & recording with Ballard. 2 weeks is roughly the amount of time that it took Dave & Ballard to write Everyday. The same source confirmed that Joyful Girl was not the only track recorded. We know that Dave was in LA on December 3rd, and we also know that Dave performed a benefit in Beverly Hills for Neil Young on December 11th. Those two confirmed dates line up nicely.

The thing I don't know is... what else did they record? Counting the Stars & Joyful Girl for sure, but maybe/probably others? Maybe someone will fill us all in? Wish I had the answers. It's been 20 years and I think a lot of people have probably forgotten the details. I'll ask Ballard about it if I ever meet him.
    People should ask Glen on Twitter. By celebrity standards, he doesn't have that many followers. I bet if a lot of people sent him questions about these sessions he would reply
    Old 03-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
    Carson31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    People should ask Glen on Twitter. By celebrity standards, he doesn't have that many followers. I bet if a lot of people sent him questions about these sessions he would reply
    I'll take a shot at it. A lot of people are happy to discuss this sort of stuff with people who are interested so I don't think it'll hurt anything to try.

And I reached out to a couple people about your WTWE inquiry and have yet to hear back. Hopefully they will confirm/deny.
    Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I had 2 new bits of news just this week:

1. I didn't know Carter is considered by many fans to be the most private member of DMB, which if I understand correctly is a combo of how little press he does, that he doesn't do workshops or intensives on drumming, and that some have perception that he's the most "Get off the bus, get onstage, get behind the drums, play, do it all in reverse and drive away" of the band.

2. I never knew about "Crazy Trenchcoat Guy Security Breach / Carter Pissed video"-gate.

Let me be clear, I'm not making any connection at all between the 2 things, they're just both things about DMB's history or perceptions of DMB that I didn't know.

And now I'll offer you all something that NONE of you know, unless you knew me 20 yrs ago: I was the first person EVER to twist Jeff Coffin's beard into twists! I think I even have a photo somewhere of right after I did it the 1st time, and I don't even know if Jeff remembers that, but I suggested it, he said he'd never had it like that before, and I did it. I think I did it in a few twists, not just one, but that was roughly 20 yrs ago and it has made me smile to occaisionally see pics of him with it twisted since then.

And if anyone knows Jeff, this was obviously when he was still with Bela Fleck, ask him if he remembers a guy working on DMB's crew named Mitch (who I think did catering) because if my mind remembers correctly at all, the pic of the first twisted beard also has Mitch from catering in it.

I haven't seen Jeff since 2008 (twisted his beard in like '98) and he wouldn't remember me by name but he'd remember me by sight.

So that's the extent of my contribution to the DMB legacy

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 03-03-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    2. I never knew about "Crazy Trenchcoat Guy Security Breach / Carter Pissed video"-gate...
    I never knew about this either. Anyone have a link to a place I can watch/read about it?
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
    Carson31

My Tour Central Stats

Mitch from catering is Mitch Rutman, perhaps best known for his guest appearances on For the Beauty of Wynona: http://dmbalmanac.com/GuestStats.aspx?gid=38&sid=104

And he released an album with... Jeff Coffin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljL...0yEfA2RoATKT-Q

I wonder what he's up to these dates. I wish DMB or Warehouse would do some kind of monthly "stories from the crew" type thing where we'd get to hear stories from all the folks associated with DMB. 30 years into this thing there must be some great stories from people like Fenton, or Sam Erickson, or Henry the tech etc etc. They'd be able to tell us all sorts of things we didn't know about DMB.
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Dave was on House.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mitch from catering is Mitch Rutman, perhaps best known for his guest appearances on For the Beauty of Wynona: http://dmbalmanac.com/GuestStats.aspx?gid=38&sid=104

And he released an album with... Jeff Coffin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljL...0yEfA2RoATKT-Q

I wonder what he's up to these dates. I wish DMB or Warehouse would do some kind of monthly "stories from the crew" type thing where we'd get to hear stories from all the folks associated with DMB. 30 years into this thing there must be some great stories from people like Fenton, or Sam Erickson, or Henry the tech etc etc. They'd be able to tell us all sorts of things we didn't know about DMB.
    Wow, I COMPLETELY FORGOT that Mitch was a musician, and that he did guest with DMB a few times! Thanks for the reminder!

And would you look at that, my memory isn't as flawed as I thought it was, I never knew Mitch made an album with Jeff! But I DID imagine they knew each other from what I remember of the pic, though had no idea they knew each other (or would go on to know each other) that well!

Mitch was (and I'm sure still is) a lovely guy!

Oh yeah, there is no question the crews of any longtime-touring band (big or small, but especially big) would have a TON of memories. Let me be clear, what I'm about to say has NOTHING (and I truly do mean nothing) to do with DMB. But you saying that about the Crew telling stories... I recently saw a pic of a musician from the early 90s who I guess played with some incarnation of his old band recently, and a fan posted a pic of her with him. Back in the day some of my friends were on this band's crew, and I remembered being pretty young myself but also that - like something straight out of a movie like "Almost Famous", I remember this singer having a very young, pretty "girlfriend" for awhile and then at a show her parents showing up with the police and yanking her off the couple of shows she was traveling with him for and threatening to take him to court if he ever saw their daughter again. So this guy has this whole rep as a musician and all I could think when I saw his recent pic was "Oh, I remember that time that girl's parents showed up with the police! I'm so bringing that up if our paths ever cross..."

So yeah, crew members know ALL the tea! But if they like their jobs and want to keep a good rep in the industry, they never spill publicly. Ever.

But there are probably plenty of very fun, interesting, non-law-breaking stories they could tell, so someone should totally ask them, because there are always very funny stories!
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Related to the above, and sorry not to take us too far off topic but quick question: Does the band still shoot a band & full crew photo every year for their calendar? Do they still do calendars every year? Was 2019 the last year for one if they do? Just curious...
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #11
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    I never knew about this either. Anyone have a link to a place I can watch/read about it?
    You can start with just searching this forum for "trenchcoat guy" and "Carter pissed video", which is how I found a couple threads about it.

It sounds like a very serious incident, despite a few Antpeople playing it down big time. Fortunately it did not end with anything bad happening beyond the breach itself. I bet either DMB doesn't play there anymore or they sure as heck have excellent security when they do...
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You can start with just searching this forum for "trenchcoat guy" and "Carter pissed video", which is how I found a couple threads about it.

It sounds like a very serious incident, despite a few Antpeople playing it down big time. Fortunately it did not end with anything bad happening beyond the breach itself. I bet either DMB doesn't play there anymore or they sure as heck have excellent security when they do...
    Pretty sure it was at John Paul Jones arena!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I just found out that the guy that sings is really named Dave Matthews...I thought they were like Jethro Tull or the Freddy Jones Band.

This is CRAZY!
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #14
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTphPMl3NKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvX70f9nKAE
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #15
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I just found out that the guy that sings is really named Dave Matthews...I thought they were like Jethro Tull or the Freddy Jones Band.

This is CRAZY!
    [Goes to read grilldanmo's first 4,499 posts to see whether he thought Dave's actual name was Tito, Jermaine, Jackie, Marlon or Michael]
    Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Benefit for Neil Young? I remember thinking how old Neil was then.. He was in his mid 50's! Which is Dave's age now. When will Dave get thrown benefits?
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #17
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't know Dave was from South America and experienced apartheid there forcing him to move.
    Old 03-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #18
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    I didn't know Dave was from South America and experienced apartheid there forcing him to move.
    Can't tell if you're joking or not so much... but just in case that isn't a joke, I'm pretty sure it's South Africa, not South America. There are... quite a few differences between the two...
    Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #19
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I had 2 new bits of news just this week:

1. I didn't know Carter is considered by many fans to be the most private member of DMB, which if I understand correctly is a combo of how little press he does, that he doesn't do workshops or intensives on drumming, and that some have perception that he's the most "Get off the bus, get onstage, get behind the drums, play, do it all in reverse and drive away" of the band.

2. I never knew about "Crazy Trenchcoat Guy Security Breach / Carter Pissed video"-gate.

Let me be clear, I'm not making any connection at all between the 2 things, they're just both things about DMB's history or perceptions of DMB that I didn't know.

And now I'll offer you all something that NONE of you know, unless you knew me 20 yrs ago: I was the first person EVER to twist Jeff Coffin's beard into twists! I think I even have a photo somewhere of right after I did it the 1st time, and I don't even know if Jeff remembers that, but I suggested it, he said he'd never had it like that before, and I did it. I think I did it in a few twists, not just one, but that was roughly 20 yrs ago and it has made me smile to occaisionally see pics of him with it twisted since then.

And if anyone knows Jeff, this was obviously when he was still with Bela Fleck, ask him if he remembers a guy working on DMB's crew named Mitch (who I think did catering) because if my mind remembers correctly at all, the pic of the first twisted beard also has Mitch from catering in it.

I haven't seen Jeff since 2008 (twisted his beard in like '98) and he wouldn't remember me by name but he'd remember me by sight.

So that's the extent of my contribution to the DMB legacy
    If you're interested in more Carter stuff, I found this episode of the Grey Street Podcast extremely interesting. Some Carter stuff starts about 19:00:

https://greystreetpod.libsyn.com/epi...rge-experience
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    If you're interested in more Carter stuff, I found this episode of the Grey Street Podcast extremely interesting. Some Carter stuff starts about 19:00:

https://greystreetpod.libsyn.com/epi...rge-experience
    Cool, thanks, I'll check it out!
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:35 AM   #21
    jssmith6
    every fire dies

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's JPJ arena, and they have played there multiple times since. And way off as something bad did happen that night, Last Stop was not played! and trench coat guy was in my section, I could have stopped him and saw Last Stop...
    jssmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 AM   #22
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That was 06. After that they played in 09, 10, 12, and 16
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #23
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    That was 06. After that they played in 09, 10, 12, and 16
    Sounds like it's safe to say they've moved on from that incident then... Although I bet it's also safe to say that since then, security has never been better there, at least for DMB shows...
    Old 03-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #24
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sounds like it's safe to say they've moved on from that incident then... Although I bet it's also safe to say that since then, security has never been better there, at least for DMB shows...
    It was the grand opening of the venue. I'm sure there were a lot of kinks to work out after those shows.

That being said, I'm not sure its as hard as it may seem to get on stage at a show like this. Most people just wouldn't even think to attempt something so dangerous and stupid.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #25
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    It was the grand opening of the venue. I'm sure there were a lot of kinks to work out after those shows.

That being said, I'm not sure its as hard as it may seem to get on stage at a show like this. Most people just wouldn't even think to attempt something so dangerous and stupid.
    Yeah, if it was the inaugural show I can see how it might be rocky. But honestly, if your security is so bad that someone who LOOKS so sketchy or is acting that sketchy (as it seemed at the time a LOT of audience members crossed paths with the guy and he creeped them out big time), if even on opening night your security is so lax he can even get to the area where he'd approach the stage, that isn't ok and is a problem beyond "This is our first show here". It's the very normal-looking people who are far more dangerous in terms of raising a red flag, because they don't get noticed the same way as "uber-creepy trenchcoat dude" and could have gotten on that stage and really messed some stuff up.

But you're also right, sometimes it's shocking how easy it would be to get onstage or wander down a hall and end up somewhere you're not supposed to be in a big, cavernous arena.
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #26
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can't tell if you're joking or not so much... but just in case that isn't a joke, I'm pretty sure it's South Africa, not South America. There are... quite a few differences between the two...
    So wait, Dave didn't experience apartheid then? Did I make this up?
    Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #27
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    So wait, Dave didn't experience apartheid then? Did I make this up?
    Ok, you got me!
    Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #28
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Bad things definitely happened. Last Stop was cut!

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourSetScan.as...3056313&tid=87
    Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #29
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

I guess then I should add to the "Things I didn't know about DMB" discussion that since I haven't seen many shows at all since 2004, I had NO IDEA that The Last Stop was such a white whale of a song for so many!

And as someone who definitely holds BTCS as my fave DMB album and who was lucky to see TLS with Bela and Tim on it a few times live, I understand the investment in hearing it! I just didn't know it was so rare until I read about Trench Coat Scary Guy.

I think the moral of the story must therefore be: We should all take a moment to thank Trench Coat Scary Guy for teaching us about what really IS most important... not safety, not mental health, but HEARING THE LAST STOP PLAYED WHEN IT'S ON THE SETLIST!!! That's my takeaway from reading all the discussions...
    Old 03-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #30
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

My recollection is that there is no actual video circulating that shows the trench coat guy. Is that correct?

Nvm, found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTphPMl3NKE