Warehouse Exclusive Session With Carter & Dave - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #211
theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Warehouse Exclusive Session With Carter & Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post
I've been thinking a lot about how others' mental and emotional states have an ambient effect that just seems to seep into you, and how important it is to spend time with those who contribute to your wellbeing, even indirectly. Watching this performance, it's so clear how positive an effect Carter has on Dave. Given the sheer number of performances Dave has given this year, it makes it clear to see just how much easier he seem here. And it felt weighty that he made a point to thank the fans that have carried them to this point. That's not a sentiment - or even a general mindset - that Dave has tended to project. And I can't help but see Carter as the catalyst for that, and I think that's what's reflected in the performance. Love and gratitude. It was beautiful.
totally agree. their enthusiasm for one another was palpable.
theflower is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #212
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saxman210 View Post
    I don’t really think I can say anything that hasn’t been said. The interaction between the two of them was awesome to see, both musically and just in their banter.

Someone mentioned that they thought this might be the end of DMB, and the thought crossed my mind too. Maybe not the end of DMB but another change in the lineup. Carter is 62 years old after all. How many years can we expect him to give up every summer to tour plus all the recording obligations and everything else?

Putting that thought out of my mind, as far as this performance goes, it was practically perfect in every way.

Just about the only thing I wish is that Dave would have trolled the entire DMB communities and made a machead mention just to make everyone shit their pants.

Carter is a multimillionaire guy that doesn’t need to work to survive.
    On the other hand, among the members of the band I have never seen him without a huge smile on his face.
    He smile constantly when he was playing because, after playing for about 53 years (he joined his first band at 9), just because he loves what he is doing, every day.
    And the same in yesterday performance.

All that just to say that I don’t feel that his musical experience with DMB is about to end.
    I don’t see that last night was the swan-song, in a few words.

He is physically younger than me and he will carry on for many years, this is my opinion
    Old 11-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #213
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just starting listening from the link Xcacel posted. Absolutely gorgeous. Loved the little Dave intro to OOMH
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #214
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

This was incredible. Also random observation, did Carter lose a ton of weight?
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #215
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Carter is a multimillionaire guy that doesn’t need to work to survive.
    On the other hand, among the members of the band I have never seen him without a huge smile on his face.
    He smile constantly when he was playing because, after playing for about 53 years (he joined his first band at 9), just because he loves what he is doing, every day.
    And the same in yesterday performance.

All that just to say that I don’t feel that his musical experience with DMB is about to end.
    I don’t see that last night was the swan-song, in a few words.

He is physically younger than me and he will carry on for many years, this is my opinion
    I have, Chicago N1 2018.

In all seriousness, I don’t think you’re wrong. I think the reason I said it felt like the ‘end of DMB’ was seeing Carter With a gray beard, in the middle of a pandemic, and realizing that only Dave and Carter met up.

For a brief second, it made me feel like the band wasn’t in sync and it only Dave and Carter can meet at a studio after all this time, that maybe the band isn’t on the same page. It was the whiskey talking.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #216
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I’m always amazed by how full just Dave and Carter sound together, I’m thinking of Say Goodbye in particular.
    At it's core, the instrumental side of DMB is really about two things: Carter's drums and Dave's guitar. The way they fit together is incredible, otherworldly, and impossible to replicate. As we've seen, we can lose other original members and it would still be some version of DMB, but without the drums or rhythm guitar, you would have to drop the DMB name.

Not to knock the other guys, but this session distilled DMB down to it's most important elements.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #217
    Chriscolebu19

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished watching and am having trouble putting it all into words. Just an incredibly perfect 1 hour gift from the WH. First year since 2001 that i'll miss a live Dave/DMB show. It was so cool to see the connection between Dave and Carter in an intimate setting. Setlist was perfect; i got misty eyed during IBYU, Say Goodbye, and Lover Lay Down. Grey Street was perfect and my favorite part was Dave and Carter reminiscing about Halloween and how it all started with just the two of them. Hope everyone is doing ok and can't wait to see the boys again in 2021 (hopefully).
    Chriscolebu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #218
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    This was incredible. Also random observation, did Carter lose a ton of weight?
    Yep! I think people talked about it in the first 3-5 pages of this thread.

Found it odd he was smoking a cigar when it looks like he spends a ton of time on his health.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #219
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    At it's core, the instrumental side of DMB is really about two things: Carter's drums and Dave's guitar. The way they fit together is incredible, otherworldly, and impossible to replicate. As we've seen, we can lose other original members and it would still be some version of DMB, but without the drums or rhythm guitar, you would have to drop the DMB name.

Not to knock the other guys, but this session distilled DMB down to it's most important elements.
    Hard to read and digest this but you are spot on.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #220
    mdel21

My Tour Central Stats

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453055542

This was linked on the almanac. Is there a recording of this set?
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #221
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

That was amazing. Im going to be watching that a lot over the next week+

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Chumlee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #222
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

PFWYG is Dave's best performance in years.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #223
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post

Dave Matthews Band is Dave and Carter. There are other pieces that I'd argue are necessary like the saxophone. The difference with the sax is that it doesn't have to be Roi or Jeff playing it. The instrument is the requirement not the artist. But with Dave and Carter the artists are required.

My brother watched and was amazed at how full and complete the sound was and how unique it was to hear the music in that format.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #224
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

While that’s true, I think we are discounting Stefan a bit quickly here. Even Dave mentioned it was odd without Stefan.

Bass and drums are responsible for leading time in music, and I think Dave felt slightly off without Stefan around.

I agree they sound quite full without Stefan, but I think the true full sound is with three of them. Hell, just the three of them could tour and I’d be more than happy.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #225
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    While that’s true, I think we are discounting Stefan a bit quickly here. Even Dave mentioned it was odd without Stefan.

Bass and drums are responsible for leading time in music, and I think Dave felt slightly off without Stefan around.

I agree they sound quite full without Stefan, but I think the true full sound is with three of them. Hell, just the three of them could tour and I’d be more than happy.
    A DM3 tour would be cool. I think he meant that the 2 artists that are required for DMB are Dave and Carter. A bass might be required but Stefan is not. Like I feel the sax is required but not Roi or Jeff.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #226
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    A DM3 tour would be cool. I think he meant that the 2 artists that are required for DMB are Dave and Carter. A bass might be required but Stefan is not. Like I feel the sax is required but not Roi or Jeff.
    Ah, I misinterpreted it, my bad. I agree with that.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #227
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Stefan is a great bassist and I'm not saying that you wouldn't miss him if another bassist had to step in for some reason. However, if you brought in another drummer (even a top-tier drummer) it would change the sound so drastically that the sound wouldn't be recognizable as DMB.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #228
    Chriscolebu19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yea agree with this. Not taking anything away from Stefan but you could easily plug any solid bass player in and make it work. It simply does NOT work without Dave or Carter.

Regarding the tour we are all dreaming up. My vote goes to Dave, Carter, Stefan, and Tim. Similar stage set up to the "two sets" tours and in intimate venues that Dave and Tim would tour in (10-12k or so seating). I would write a blank check to the WH and tell them to just get me into as many shows as you can.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #229
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chriscolebu19 View Post
    yea agree with this. Not taking anything away from Stefan but you could easily plug any solid bass player in and make it work. It simply does NOT work without Dave or Carter.

Regarding the tour we are all dreaming up. My vote goes to Dave, Carter, Stefan, and Tim. Similar stage set up to the "two sets" tours and in intimate venues that Dave and Tim would tour in (10-12k or so seating). I would write a blank check to the WH and tell them to just get me into as many shows as you can.
    Replace Tim with Jeff and I'm happier. Tim is great but in DMB a lead guitar/ist isn't required. Dave's rhythm guitar is all that is required on that front. Dave, Carter, Fonz, and Jeff playing a relaxed show like Dave and Carter did last night would be blissful.

And yes, Fonz is great and it would be different without him but DMB can exist without him like it does with Jeff and without Boyd.

Last edited by dontdrink36; 11-20-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #230
    Chriscolebu19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Replace Tim with Jeff and I'm happier. Tim is great but in DMB a lead guitar/ist isn't required. Dave's rhythm guitar is all that is required on that front. Dave, Carter, Fonz, and Jeff playing a relaxed show like Dave and Carter did last night would be blissful.
    I'll agree to that on the condition that Jeff's role is to provide a nice, light accompaniment. Shouldn't see his carotid artery bulging at any point. lol
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #231
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Dave's feel for rhythm is so criminally underrated in the music world and this video really highlights it. It's amazing to hear how locked in him and Carter rhythmically on these songs
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #232
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

They should have been doing stuff like this since the inception of WH. This is so cool.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #233
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chriscolebu19 View Post
    I'll agree to that on the condition that Jeff's role is to provide a nice, light accompaniment. Shouldn't see his carotid artery bulging at any point. lol
    yes, it wouldn't be a full band amp type of show or approach. It would be much more mellow. Like the acoustic set but even more stripped down.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #234
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave's feel for rhythm is so criminally underrated in the music world and this video really highlights it. It's amazing to hear how locked in him and Carter rhythmically on these songs
    This x1000. He's one of the best and unique rhythm guitarists on the planet.
    Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #235
    GoingToCA91

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's the reason I fell in love with DMB. I'd never heard (still haven't outside of Dave) rhythm guitar like that. Came for Dave's guitar, stayed for Carter's tasty drumming. This video is all the evidence I need for why DMB is great
    GoingToCA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #236
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Was pretty cool.

Wouldn’t mind a Dave, carter and Stefan tour. I’m sure it wouldn’t happen tho because they’d worry about rashawns feelings being hurt
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #237
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Found it odd he was smoking a cigar when it looks like he spends a ton of time on his health.
    Same was very confused. At first I thought it was the attachment on the end of his drumsticks with the brush-like strings that he was holding in his mouth.
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #238
    dberlin

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Did someone rip this audio or what???
    I Let my WH membership lapse.
    dberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #239
    scottbtdmb

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    Same was very confused. At first I thought it was the attachment on the end of his drumsticks with the brush-like strings that he was holding in his mouth.
    All things in moderation my friend! Nothing wrong with a good stogie once in awhile. I eat clean and am an avid runner/weight enthusiast, but I do enjoy enjoy a good cigar on a special occasion. Getting together with a lifelong friend to play music certainly qualifies as a very special occasion, so I don't blame Carter...
    scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #240
    GoingToCA91

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

This is the most universally positive moment I've seen in my 11 years of following this band. I hope management sees and understands this!
    GoingToCA91 is offline   Reply With Quote