Dave Matthews is not Bob Dylan - Page 9 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #241
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews is not Bob Dylan

dmbcatcher > dmbcacher

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #242
    dmbcacher

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    dmbcatcher > dmbcacher

Bob
    Still
    Isn't
    Dave.
    dmbcacher is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #243
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i didnt know this thanks
    Old 10-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #244
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbcacher View Post
    Bob
    Still
    Isn't
    Dave.
    dmbcacher
    Still
    Isn't
    dmbcatcher

Neil
    Still
    Isn't
    Doug

Am I doing it right?

Bruce
    Still
    Isn't
    Caitlyn

Oh crap...
    Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #245
    Treydmb17

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm tired of people comparing Dave to Dikembe Mutombo...I mean, give it up already.
    Treydmb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #246
    dewke

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister View Post
    DMB's Watchtower >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dylan's Watchtower
    This is true, but Hendrix's Watchtower > DMB's Watchtower.
    Old 10-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #247
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just re-read this thread. Gotta say, I'm impressed. To be fair, I think every songwriter is compared to Dylan... but not as equals, because he's the gold standard. I just hear things like "He's good, but he's no Dylan."

When will we hear that Jakob Dylan/Dave Matthews album?
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #248
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

starting to think that dave IS bob dylan
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #249
    resumesomething

My Tour Central Stats

So, I have always appreciated Bob Dylan’s music, but I know I hadn’t listened to everything, so last week I decided that I would listen to all of his studio albums start to finish. I listened to 39 albums in 4 days, a total of 33 hours of music, I believe. This was just his studio stuff, not the Bootlegs series or live albums.

So, the conclusion that I have come to is that the producer really matters. He had two albums produced by Daniel Lanois and they sound fantastic. Dylan may be his own best producer because his recent albums are self-produced and are probably his best. Tempest was my favorite album without question. The two Lanois produced ones, Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind are the best sounding, in my opinion. Interestingly, Dylan apparently didn’t like the way Time Out of Mind sounded, which might be why he started producing his own albums. Apparently Lanois is very particular in the studio about microphone placement to get certain sounds and mixing (I don’t know anything about audio production, but that sounds like something any producer would do). That info is from Wikipedia, so…

I know it has been expressed that it would be interesting to hear what Lanois could do with DMB. I feel the same way 100%. How DMB would even record an album in the same city as King Batson is beyond me.
    Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #250
    dreamingtree_34

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    So, I have always appreciated Bob Dylan’s music, but I know I hadn’t listened to everything, so last week I decided that I would listen to all of his studio albums start to finish. I listened to 39 albums in 4 days, a total of 33 hours of music, I believe. This was just his studio stuff, not the Bootlegs series or live albums.

So, the conclusion that I have come to is that the producer really matters. He had two albums produced by Daniel Lanois and they sound fantastic. Dylan may be his own best producer because his recent albums are self-produced and are probably his best. Tempest was my favorite album without question. The two Lanois produced ones, Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind are the best sounding, in my opinion. Interestingly, Dylan apparently didn’t like the way Time Out of Mind sounded, which might be why he started producing his own albums. Apparently Lanois is very particular in the studio about microphone placement to get certain sounds and mixing (I don’t know anything about audio production, but that sounds like something any producer would do). That info is from Wikipedia, so…

I know it has been expressed that it would be interesting to hear what Lanois could do with DMB. I feel the same way 100%. How DMB would even record an album in the same city as King Batson is beyond me.
    Really interesting stuff- I've been wanting to do exactly this to dive deeper in Dylan, but the sheer number of albums is so daunting that I haven't been able to yet. It's weird to be such a huge fan of him and still feel like such a dilettante on his body of work- so I need to get on this. Impressive that you got through them in 4 days- I definitely don't think I could listen to challenging Dylan music for an entire work day and grasp it. Out of curiosity since I listened to it recently- how did Infidels stack up in the overall ranking / reaction?

I don't know a ton of Lanois' production work but I like the solo Neil Young album he produced a few years back -- I'd be really interested in what a Dave solo album would sound like with him producing. I'd love to hear Dave do something truly experimental. Off topic but an anecdote on Lanois- I read Anthony Kiedis's memoir recently and he wrote about how they considered having Lanois produce what would become Californication- as they were unsure of sticking with Rick Rubin. Lanois couldn't because he was on call for U2- but he invited the band to record a demo version of the album at his studio. When Lanois heard the tracks they laid down there / how great they were he called them up and said that he changed his mind and wanted to produce their record- but they had already switched to working with Rubin. Californication is a masterpiece imo- but I'd still love to hear how those demos sounded.

Last edited by dreamingtree_34; 10-15-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    dreamingtree_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #251
    resumesomething

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 View Post
    Really interesting stuff- I've been wanting to do exactly this to dive deeper in Dylan, but the sheer number of albums is so daunting that I haven't been able to yet. It's weird to be such a huge fan of him and still feel like such a dilettante on his body of work- so I need to get on this. Impressive that you got through them in 4 days- I definitely don't think I could listen to challenging Dylan music for an entire work day and grasp it. Out of curiosity since I listened to it recently- how did Infidels stack up in the overall ranking / reaction?

I don't know a ton of Lanois' production work but I like the solo Neil Young album he produced a few years back -- I'd be really interested in what a Dave solo album would sound like with him producing. I'd love to hear Dave do something truly experimental. Off topic but an anecdote on Lanois- I read Anthony Kiedis's memoir recently and he wrote about how they considered having Lanois produce what would become Californication- as they were unsure of sticking with Rick Rubin. Lanois couldn't because he was on call for U2- but he invited the band to record a demo version of the album at his studio. When Lanois heard the tracks they laid down there / how great they were he called them up and said that he changed his mind and wanted to produce their record- but they had already switched to working with Rubin. Californication is a masterpiece imo- but I'd still love to hear how those demos sounded.
    Thanks for the response. I sure did not grasp most of it. Because of the sheer amount of music I was listening to everyday: at work, making dinner, cleaning the bathroom, I wasn't trying/able to parse out what Dylan was singing about each time. As I'm sure you know, there are people who analyze his lyrics like it's a job. I'm definitely not smart enough for that. Basically, I just wanted to listen to hear songs that I liked, and there is a lot to like.

Infidels is a great album. It might be that it came right after the Christian trilogy, which had a few redeeming moments (ha), but definitely were not the best. Infidels sounded to me like a breath of fresh air. The only song I knew off of it was Jokerman, and to discover really good songs like Sweetheart Like You and Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight was really fun.

I'm glad RHCP stuck with Rick Rubin. Californication is a fantastic album. I don't know much about Rick Rubin, other than he was the mastermind behind Johnny Cash's best albums of his career at the end of his life.