Carters drum sticks - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
kevdmb31

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Carters drum sticks

I have been lucky enough to catch two sticks tossed out by Carter at the conclusion of a couple shows. Something he's been doing since as long as I can remember. I noticed during the fall 2018 tour, he didn't throw sticks out at all, just walked off stage. I'm curious if anyone knows why?
kevdmb31 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
    SeeMoreDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carters drum sticks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevdmb31 View Post
    I have been lucky enough to catch two sticks tossed out by Carter at the conclusion of a couple shows. Something he's been doing since as long as I can remember. I noticed during the fall 2018 tour, he didn't throw sticks out at all, just walked off stage. I'm curious if anyone knows why?
    He did at some shows. I heard something about someone being a little bitch after getting hit with a stick he tossed so he was more reserved about it this past year. Not sure if that's true or not tho
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
    cjobes

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

He threw some out Cville N2
    cjobes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjobes View Post
    He threw some out Cville N2
    Did he? I stuck around for a bit and didn't see him throw anything. Did he come back out?
    seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    Did he? I stuck around for a bit and didn't see him throw anything. Did he come back out?

I was on the side of the stage where they were walking on and off. He probably threw 5 or 6 sticks to my section. I wasn’t able to snag one
    Old 01-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

Carters drum sticks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    He did at some shows. I heard something about someone being a little bitch after getting hit with a stick he tossed so he was more reserved about it this past year. Not sure if that's true or not tho

If that is true that’s a bit ridiculous. I remember going to the first Carnival of Madness tour back in 2010 and the frontman for Puddle of Mudd (Wes?) launched a full Coors Light can into the crowd and nailed someone. Show went on. Lol
    Old 01-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
    Nick3641

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Complete speculation, but it may have been a supply issue with the stick company. I'm still amazed that he gives so many fresh pair away every night.
    Nick3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick3641 View Post
    Complete speculation, but it may have been a supply issue with the stick company. I'm still amazed that he gives so many fresh pair away every night.
    I can't imagine Vic Firth having issues with getting sticks. I also think they probably send him a shit ton every year for free. They want him handing those out with his name and their name on them. First off, no one can do much with one stick. Second off, it is a souvenir, everyone keeps it but isn't using it. It gets Vic Firth and the Carter Beauford edition stick some publicity to the most likely buyers, music fans and fans of DMB.

I've got about 12 of them, I've never hit any of them against a drum.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post

This can't be the reason. Obviously Carter can still lightly toss sticks out to the first 5 rows without anyone suing or complaining. Now, chucking sticks 30 rows back? Yeah maybe his lawyer(s) have advised to not do that anymore.

Carter doesn't look as happy as he once did. He doesn't smile as much anymore, and he makes less eye contact with members on stage. Call me crazy but I'm a drummer and got into DMB because of Carter. It's just something I've observed.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
    davem#36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    I don't remember him throwing any night 2 and I was in the pit.

What an amazing 20 years.
    ‘24 ALPHA/ALPINE
    davem#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
    pbroderi86

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone think Carter may be mad the way things went down with the sock bandit?

Can’t pinpoint any certain behavior to this. The thought crossed my mind. Anyone else?
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 AM   #12
    daveMathews48
    Ice

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

One thing I do wish we would get is more Carter outside of his playing on stage. I understand why an artist may want their work and playing and to speak for themselves. If you’re not a drummer you may miss the things we notice about his musicianship and with his conversations on stage. Maybe he’s such a perfectionist it would take him more time than just turning on YouTube and hitting record for a live Q&A, talking while using a practice pad, stories growing up w Boyd n Leroi. How his playing and viewpoints changes depending who’s on stage and what the music is, playing with Secrets, John D’Earth, his work with Stefan at a young age, stories with Miguel Valdez, taking over harmony from Peter Grieser, drumming while singing, bubblegum lessons, his period with BET Jazz and almost Arsenio Hall, etc... he’s probably the most private band member now since Leroi’s passing... has Leroi ever been interviewed for Sax Magazines? Carter has maybe a dozen or so. Dave must have more than 20. Stefan has a few. Not sure about Boyd.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
    daveMathews48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
    daveMathews48
    Ice

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

His drum sticks have even changed throughout the years. His longest model ProMark sticks were never the same throughout its run either. Do you think young Carter would be caught dead wearing golf gloves behind the kit? I can only imagine Arsenio

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
    daveMathews48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #14
    barefoot
    More coffee....

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    This can't be the reason. Obviously Carter can still lightly toss sticks out to the first 5 rows without anyone suing or complaining. Now, chucking sticks 30 rows back? Yeah maybe his lawyer(s) have advised to not do that anymore.

Carter doesn't look as happy as he once did. He doesn't smile as much anymore, and he makes less eye contact with members on stage. Call me crazy but I'm a drummer and got into DMB because of Carter. It's just something I've observed.
    I've been to 60 plus shows and noticed this as well last year. The shows I was at he tossed maybe 5 altogether between the main set and encore and at one he jetted right after the encore. I am sure the turmoil with the band is the main culprit, just not as much joy as their used to be.
    Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveMathews48 View Post
    One thing I do wish we would get is more Carter outside of his playing on stage. I understand why an artist may want their work and playing and to speak for themselves. If you’re not a drummer you may miss the things we notice about his musicianship and with his conversations on stage. Maybe he’s such a perfectionist it would take him more time than just turning on YouTube and hitting record for a live Q&A, talking while using a practice pad, stories growing up w Boyd n Leroi. How his playing and viewpoints changes depending who’s on stage and what the music is, playing with Secrets, John D’Earth, his work with Stefan at a young age, stories with Miguel Valdez, taking over harmony from Peter Grieser, drumming while singing, bubblegum lessons, his period with BET Jazz and almost Arsenio Hall, etc... he’s probably the most private band member now since Leroi’s passing... has Leroi ever been interviewed for Sax Magazines? Carter has maybe a dozen or so. Dave must have more than 20. Stefan has a few. Not sure about Boyd.
    As much as I'd love this, Carter just isn't into this stuff. When he's not on stage, you really wouldn't even realize he's a drummer. He really doesn't like all the drum spotlight outside of dmb. I honestly don't think he really even knows that much about gear and could possibly be intimidated by other gear enthusiasts. He can just play better than anyone I've ever seen and that's his thing.

He hardly ever knows what he's gonna be playing each night. Only makes requests to Henry if he wants something changed. He's well taken care of so he gets to do his own thing most of the time.

Heck Yamaha couldn't even get him a signature snare the 3 years they were testing his prototype out lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Didn't some girl get hit in the face and get a pretty gnarly black/swollen eye a number of years ago? I seem to remember reading about that on here, and he kept tossing after that.

I think the real danger isn't from flying sticks, it's from the idiots trampling each other fighting over them.
    Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
    Nick3641

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    I can't imagine Vic Firth having issues with getting sticks. I also think they probably send him a shit ton every year for free. They want him handing those out with his name and their name on them. First off, no one can do much with one stick. Second off, it is a souvenir, everyone keeps it but isn't using it. It gets Vic Firth and the Carter Beauford edition stick some publicity to the most likely buyers, music fans and fans of DMB.

I've got about 12 of them, I've never hit any of them against a drum.
    I'm familiar with the endorsement process. Like I said, it was just speculation.
    Nick3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #18
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Didn't some girl get hit in the face and get a pretty gnarly black/swollen eye a number of years ago? I seem to remember reading about that on here, and he kept tossing after that.

I think the real danger isn't from flying sticks, it's from the idiots trampling each other fighting over them.
    Accurate. I won't lie, I have thought about going out and buying 3 dozen drum sticks and then when Carter goes to start throwing them just basically raining drum sticks. If everyone is special, than no one is special.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #19
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

I've never understood why the stick thing is such a big deal. OK he held it and maybe recognized someone in front row or 2, that I can understand.... But otherwise you can buy these at your local guitar center or anywhere online lol. No sense in the fighting some people do over these.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #20
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    I've never understood why the stick thing is such a big deal. OK he held it and maybe recognized someone in front row or 2, that I can understand.... But otherwise you can buy these at your local guitar center or anywhere online lol. No sense in the fighting some people do over these.

Not all of us get to sit at Carter's kit before the show.
    Old 01-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #21
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Not all of us get to sit at Carter's kit before the show.
    Lol I get that.... And I guess I can see somewhat the stick thing. I think a lot of people probably don't realize you can just buy them, but it's also part of the concert experience. Maybe I should take that comment back lol

Old 01-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #22
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

He is old and exhausted after a show. Just wants to get off stage and chill. That's my take.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #23
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    I've been to 60 plus shows and noticed this as well last year. The shows I was at he tossed maybe 5 altogether between the main set and encore and at one he jetted right after the encore. I am sure the turmoil with the band is the main culprit, just not as much joy as their used to be.

Yeah, noticed the same thing in Chicago'18. Right after the show, he bailed. Didn't bother to stick around post show at the Gorge so no idea what he did there.

I remember watching some clips on youtube of DMB playing at a show in 1997 or so. Dave walked up to Carter behind stage, before they were going on, and Carter looked beat. Dave said 'how you doing?' and Carter went on to complain about the humidity and heat.

I imagine as he gets older, it gets even more frustrating. Chicago last year, it was around 97 or something at the start of the show. Even by night, it was still 90 something. Many of their nights are spent in hot cities around the country.. I imagine this doesn't help anything.
    Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #24
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah his style of drumming definitely takes a toll on him. He's got a huge fan behind him and even then it's still exhausting. He'll be the reason they hang it up I believe.

You can already tell he's taken his extreme drumming down a notch in 2018 from the levels he was playing in 16. Much more reserved for Carter. He's still the best!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #25
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Before I was a DMB nerd, I was a big Rush nerd (still am). I got to see them on their last few tours, and I remember getting the feeling they’d call it quits soon. In 2015, Neil retired at 63 years old. Carter is 61. Obviously, everyone is different, and Neil has tendinitis I believe. And there are plenty of drummers who play well into their 70s, but not at the level that Neil & Carter play on. I’m not telling anyone that they need to fear Carters retirement any time soon, but I can’t help but feel that, every single tour.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Before I was a DMB nerd, I was a big Rush nerd (still am). I got to see them on their last few tours, and I remember getting the feeling they’d call it quits soon. In 2015, Neil retired at 63 years old. Carter is 61. Obviously, everyone is different, and Neil has tendinitis I believe. And there are plenty of drummers who play well into their 70s, but not at the level that Neil & Carter play on. I’m not telling anyone that they need to fear Carters retirement any time soon, but I can’t help but feel that, every single tour.
    100% agree. And when he's done, I think we'll never hear much from him again. I thought I read one time he never wanted this huge famous lifestyle anyway and that's why he's so excluded from most anything public other than dmb really. Could be wrong

Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #27
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post

I caught one that he had played with, at my first show

*And Dave's plectrum that he'd used
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #28
    aparker507

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    I caught one that he had played with, at my first show

*And Dave's plectrum that he'd used
    Now those I get. That's awesome!

Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post

I've been intentionally avoiding the thought of this because it's a major bummer. We are getting closer to the end each year, and I think it's closer than we'd like to think.
    Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #30
    dmbguitarist

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

he def threw sticks on cville night 2 he threw two to my brother and I
    dmbguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote