The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 76 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #2251
TheLastPig
 
TheLastPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 43,451

Shows Seen: 53

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
I have tweet notifications turned on for him because he deletes them so often

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4c43749d51.jpg
Holy shit is this all from last night about ants?
__________________
WVU


Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #2252
    AJF_41
     
    AJF_41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 63,863

    Shows Seen: 26

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    fonz 100% replaceable.


    only two that aren't are dave and carter.
    __________________
    the feeling returns, whenever we close our eyes...

    growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    I’m pro spankings. Worked for me.
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #2253
    dobyblue
     
    dobyblue's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 26,364

    Shows Seen: 62

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    I think two things play into it 1) hes hard to hear on live releases quite a bit, thats why I loved LT 40 so much. the bass was finally up in the mix.
    2) people hear other instruments much clearer, the bass is often not the focal point, but if you removed the bass track the song would sound terrible. Most people aren't listening for what the bass does. Then you hear someone like Wooten, where the bass is more the focus, and you say "see, now thats a talented bass player!". Which he is of course, but with a different role.

    Fonz is an incredible bass player and the "put another talented bass player up there and it sounds the same" is nonsense. The Fonz/Carter backbone of the band is very important to the sound.
    Bolded is truth, I think most likely it would be fellow bass players and/or musicians in some form that are most likely to hear what the bass is doing in the mix. I never find Stefan's parts hard to pick up and he definitely isn't making the least amount of mistakes. Even on released titles you can hear flubs if you know what you're listening for - hard to find a version of Busted Stuff where Fonz doesn't play at least one bum note. Crash from LT4, Melissa from PP.

    Still, turn up the LFE and listen to the 5.1 mix of Jimi Thing from CP, this is a great example of why I liken Fonz to McCartney...he's very busy and adds a lot to the flow of the song...but most won't really hear that unless you sit them down and point it out or direct them to listen specifically to what he's doing.
    __________________
    Questions about records, turntables and setup? Please post in the Vinyl thread rather than sending PMs:
    **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #2254
    bowa36
    code magenta
     
    bowa36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: GA
    Posts: 11,121

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    fonz 100% replaceable.


    only two that aren't are dave and carter.
    and stefan
    __________________
    When it's not the colors that matter,
    but that they'll all fade away

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stefan Lessard
    You just never know what you might get. Our shows are like a pack of baseball cards.
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #2255
    bowa36
    code magenta
     
    bowa36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: GA
    Posts: 11,121

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Bolded is truth, I think most likely it would be fellow bass players and/or musicians in some form that are most likely to hear what the bass is doing in the mix. I never find Stefan's parts hard to pick up and he definitely isn't making the least amount of mistakes. Even on released titles you can hear flubs if you know what you're listening for - hard to find a version of Busted Stuff where Fonz doesn't play at least one bum note. Crash from LT4, Melissa from PP.

    Still, turn up the LFE and listen to the 5.1 mix of Jimi Thing from CP, this is a great example of why I liken Fonz to McCartney...he's very busy and adds a lot to the flow of the song...but most won't really hear that unless you sit them down and point it out or direct them to listen specifically to what he's doing.

    capn is a good example of this
    __________________
    When it's not the colors that matter,
    but that they'll all fade away

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stefan Lessard
    You just never know what you might get. Our shows are like a pack of baseball cards.
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #2256
    dmb41er
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 2,115

    Shows Seen: 69

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    With so many unanswered questions it is hard to form a solid opinion on the Boyd situation, but it is likely connected to the hiatus which was announced over two years ago.
    dmb41er is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #2257
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 43,451

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    No idea what the bashing his friend who took his life stuff is... sounds like he either took a joke wrong or is making it up.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #2258
    2stepnstone
     
    2stepnstone's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Posts: 618

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    No idea what the bashing his friend who took his life stuff is... sounds like he either took a joke wrong or is making it up.
    That was a retweet
    2stepnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #2259
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Mississippi
    Posts: 23,850

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    No idea what the bashing his friend who took his life stuff is... sounds like he either took a joke wrong or is making it up.
    Wtf? Who are you even talking about? Boyd?
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #2260
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 43,451

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Wtf? Who are you even talking about? Boyd?
    Read the page tyler.. click the link Danny posted
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #2261
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Mississippi
    Posts: 23,850

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Read the page tyler.. click the link Danny posted
    Yeah I just needed so direction LP because I'm in the middle of class and saw your post and didn't feel like looking for it
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #2262
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 43,451

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    I also like how he calls us an anti fan site... hell this site helps people every year with tickets and info and talks about a 26 year old band daily, he should be thankful it even exists and the community is here instead of being a whiny pissant who gets upset if he hears one criticism. He sounds like the head of the DMB Family.

    I never criticize Stefan and I also dont think he is very replaceable because hes a founding member.. but that really irritates me. Welcome to the internet dude, youre gonna see some criticism when youre in the spotlight.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #2263
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?
     
    Carbon Copy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 22,934

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    fonz 100% replaceable.


    only two that aren't are dave and carter.
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #2264
    #41Tom
     
    #41Tom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Yorkshire, UK
    Posts: 4,983

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    So nobody knows who this friend was from Danny's link?
    __________________
    But she says, "Please,
    There's a crazy man that's creeping outside my door,
    I live on the corner of Grey Street,
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #2265
    Dannyyankou
     
    Dannyyankou's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Westchester, NY
    Posts: 24,642

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Holy shit is this all from last night about ants?


    Yeah and there were more too, they didn’t all fit in the screenshot

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3e9bec715c.jpg
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #2266
    Seek#41Up
    #41
     
    Seek#41Up's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Posts: 4,562

    Shows Seen: 73

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    no way
    __________________
    Thanks for the memories Roi, you will be missed!
    Seek#41Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #2267
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio
     
    greenpick41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: WA
    Posts: 2,707

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    I don’t understand any of this discussion on replaceability of band members. It’s not like they ever had a tryout and the only people who made the cut were the best of the best or something. They’re just artists who naturally gravitated toward each other to create an entertainment product and make a living. This isn’t a fantasy football team.
    __________________
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    greenpick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #2268
    2stepnstone
     
    2stepnstone's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Posts: 618

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    Dave's acoustic sound, absolutely he could. But similar to the Dead & Company role of filling Jerry's part, you just can't duplicate the vocals.
    2stepnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #2269
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 34,554

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb

    This is probably the worst post I've seen in the history of this website, and I am a John Mayer fan
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #2270
    groogrux27
     
    groogrux27's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 1,416

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This is probably the worst post I've seen in the history of this website, and I am a John Mayer fan
    agreed hahaha
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
    I just wanted to check what the consensus on this song was so I could decide how I feel. I can't remember if we hate it or not because I didn't pay attention when it was more relevant. Sorry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #2271
    dkamis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Denver
    Posts: 147

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JordanCascata View Post
    We obviously need Lindsey Stirling. Female, connects well with the young audience, not classically trained, has been on Dancing With The Stars. (Bonus.)


    She’s Mormon and doesn’t play on Sunday so likely she wouldn’t play with an atheist. My early suggestions would be Gabe from Punch Brothers or Ryan from Trampled By Turtles. There are so many good fiddle players out there they honestly couldn’t go wrong.

    Boyd needs to be replaced.
    dkamis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #2272
    vklugf
     
    vklugf's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Miami
    Posts: 798

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    Phillip Phillips could easily replace Dave. 😂
    __________________
    __________________
    Valter Klug
    vklugf is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #2273
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Mississippi
    Posts: 23,850

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This is probably the worst post I've seen in the history of this website, and I am a John Mayer fan
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #2274
    groogrux27
     
    groogrux27's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 1,416

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkamis View Post
    She’s Mormon and doesn’t play on Sunday so likely she wouldn’t play with an atheist. My early suggestions would be Gabe from Punch Brothers or Ryan from Trampled By Turtles. There are so many good fiddle players out there they honestly couldn’t go wrong.

    Boyd needs to be replaced.
    im LDS, it's not like we dont do anything with people who dont believe the same things we believe, she might not play on Sunday, but playing with an Athiest would be no problem
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
    I just wanted to check what the consensus on this song was so I could decide how I feel. I can't remember if we hate it or not because I didn't pay attention when it was more relevant. Sorry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #2275
    tyler3440
     
    tyler3440's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Mississippi
    Posts: 23,850

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Y'all can't be legit serious?
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #2276
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable
     
    dontdrink36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Canton, GA
    Posts: 26,705

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Why would John Mayer want to be in DMB? He already has a strong solo career and side project with Dead and Co. I can't think of a reason why he would want to do anything with DMB other than guest if he was town.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #2277
    dkamis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Denver
    Posts: 147

    Shows Seen: 34

    The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    im LDS, it's not like we dont do anything with people who dont believe the same things we believe, she might not play on Sunday, but playing with an Athiest would be no problem

    I’ve known enough Mormons to know it is highly dependent on how strict she is. I guess we could see if she’ll drink a soda...

    This absolutely won’t happen by the way. LS wouldn’t want to take a side role either. She too big to be a backing musician.
    dkamis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #2278
    kelchlsm
     
    kelchlsm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Posts: 3,305

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Think you guys are feeding an obvious troll comment
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #2279
    dkamis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Denver
    Posts: 147

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Don’t tell me how to have fun on the internet. Trolling trolls is one of my favorite things.
    dkamis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #2280
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 6,489

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    fonz 100% replaceable.


    only two that aren't are dave and carter.
    That’s funny, I would have said Boyd was the most replaceable as a musician and composer, easily. Once that actually happened, lots of people all over the internet freaked out citing his stage presence prancing around the stage being an essential part of DMB.

    Fonz gave us The Dreaming Tree, Boyd brought True Reflections, a song that was once thought of as DMB’s weakest song pre-Everyday.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram
    Matt's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter