The Home Theater Thread - Page 20 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #571
dklein
DMBfan in TN

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Home Theater Thread

^Thumbs up. Great information! How reliable do you think these secondary retailers, i.e. Ielectrica, are for selling Oleds? I've been seeing several of them sell oleds for at least $2-300 cheaper than Amazon, but they are not certified retailers according to LG. Price savings worth the risk to not potentially get a full manufacturer's warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
dklein is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #572
    CrAzyEasy223

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklein View Post
    ^Thumbs up. Great information! How reliable do you think these secondary retailers, i.e. Ielectrica, are for selling Oleds? I've been seeing several of them sell oleds for at least $2-300 cheaper than Amazon, but they are not certified retailers according to LG. Price savings worth the risk to not potentially get a full manufacturer's warranty?

The risk is up to you. I know people that have bought TV's through unauthorized dealers and been fine and others that have had horror stories. I will tell you though that if you ever have problems with the TV no manufacturer is going to help you out if you bought it from an unauthorized dealer. (I work in this industry and have expert knowledge of how this works) You are better to spend the extra couple hundred dollars and buy from an authorized dealer.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #573
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrAzyEasy223 View Post
    The risk is up to you. I know people that have bought TV's through unauthorized dealers and been fine and others that have had horror stories. I will tell you though that if you ever have problems with the TV no manufacturer is going to help you out if you bought it from an unauthorized dealer. (I work in this industry and have expert knowledge of how this works) You are better to spend the extra couple hundred dollars and buy from an authorized dealer.
    That's what I was thinking. I'll probably just bite the bullet and save my pennies and buy a C7 oled from Amazon or a B7 from Costco. It'll be my main TV and I want it to last at least 10 years like my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma has.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #574
    CrAzyEasy223

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    That's what I'm doing, with very few exceptions a panel tech just gets better year after year so whether it's Sony, LG or Panasonic in 2 years that has the best set, you can guarantee it will have come down a fair bit from where it is now.

I'm surprised how quickly they've managed to get the pricing down to where plasma panels were in 2007. Great stuff. At this rate getting a @ 70" 4K OLED for under $5k in 2 years is quite possible.

Nice to see LG wrap up all three awards last week at the HDTV shootout, how about OLED technology already winning the bright room awards? That's very impressive.
    To be fair, from what I have heard LG brought in a special unit that was used for this showdown, not a production unit and had their engineers there to make sure everything went smoothly. They most likely still win regardless of this, but it is worth mentioning.

Also worth mentioning is that the TV Shootout is more for calibrators than the actual average consumer (I am sure you already know this), where they are specifically looking at how the panel on the TV performs after being calibrated as opposed to how the overall actual TV performs. This makes a major difference because a large majority of people will never have their TV calibrated and even if they did, would never pay the amount of money it would cost to get the top notch calibrators that are used at something such as the TV shootout.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #575
    CrAzyEasy223

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harryhoudini View Post
    I'm looking for a mid-tier 55in TV. Considering these two reviewed in this article. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations? I sort of want the Sony because of the Android smart TV, but not sure it is worth a $200 premium.

http://www.4ktvcomparison.com/samsun...vs-xbr75x900e/
    If you are between those two TV's, I would go with the Sony. The reason being is the full array LED backlight. As HDR content becomes more and more popular having full array local dimming on an LED TV will be essential to getting the brightest picture with the best possible contrast.

Also I prefer the Android TV UI as opposed to Tizen, but both do really work well as operating systems for TV's.
    Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #576
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you are between those two TV's, I would go with the Sony. The reason being is the full array LED backlight. As HDR content becomes more and more popular having full array local dimming on an LED TV will be essential to getting the brightest picture with the best possible contrast.

Also I prefer the Android TV UI as opposed to Tizen, but both do really work well as operating systems for TV's.
    Thanks

I've had my TV for close to a decade, so I'm tempted to wait the 6 months and see what deals pop up holiday time. It sounds like if prices drop and I can spend an extra $1k for an OLED it would be worth it. Right now it is a much bigger gap than that.
    Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #577
    CrAzyEasy223

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Additionally I would not count on being able to find an OLED TV above 70 inches under $5000 any time soon. The reason being is that that 55 and 65 inch TV's are the most popular screen sizes for OLED right now and actually just TV's in general. There are only so many OLED panels being produced right now and they are being made in the 55 and 65 inch size to appease the demand for OLED TV's in that size. Panel manufacturers do not yet currently possess the bandwith needed to offer 3 different sizes of OLED panels at a good value. LG is investing billions of dollars in to new OLED manufacturing facilities to get there, but those plants are still likely at least 3-4 years from being in operation. Currently the only OLED TV's available above 70 inches are from LG and Sony and neither is less than 15K.
    Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #578
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To be fair, from what I have heard LG brought in a special unit that was used for this showdown, not a production unit and had their engineers there to make sure everything went smoothly. They most likely still win regardless of this, but it is worth mentioning.

Also worth mentioning is that the TV Shootout is more for calibrators than the actual average consumer (I am sure you already know this), where they are specifically looking at how the panel on the TV performs after being calibrated as opposed to how the overall actual TV performs. This makes a major difference because a large majority of people will never have their TV calibrated and even if they did, would never pay the amount of money it would cost to get the top notch calibrators that are used at something such as the TV shootout.
    I would be very surprised if that's the case, I've driven 7+ hours down to the shootout on two separate years and the sets always represent the models for the consumer market and not industrial/business models. LG were there in 2013 for their 1080p set because they were just outside the launch window but Value Electronics wanted their OLED set there, so because their interface wasn't totally ready they made some techs available to assist the calibrators.

The shootout is for enthusiasts who will pay for calibrators, if there was no market for these sets outside calibrators they surely wouldn't manufacture them. The shootout gets lots of press. It's just about the same amount to have DeWayne calibrate your set if he's in your area as it is Best Buy's Geek Squad, DeWayne, Kevin and David are all super nice guys, very easy to talk do and won't screw you over with an outrageous bill.

They do give full reports on out of box measurements as well as post calibration.

Those TVs are of course not for the average consumer who doesn't even pay for HD and stretches their SD feed only horizontally...but it's certainly noted by many an enthusiast across the various AV forums.

In 2014 Samsung had a 21:9 100+" LED there, it was pretty awful. The calibrators want a good set just like you and I do. If you're ever in the area you'll find Robert Zohn is the consummate host, very enthusiastic and very easy to chat with, he and his wife Wendy always welcome newcomers to the shootout. I wish I could go every year but Scarsdale alone is a 7.25 hour drive from Niagara Falls and I believe they're further down into Manhattan now.
    Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #579
    CrAzyEasy223

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would be very surprised if that's the case, I've driven 7+ hours down to the shootout on two separate years and the sets always represent the models for the consumer market and not industrial/business models. LG were there in 2013 for their 1080p set because they were just outside the launch window but Value Electronics wanted their OLED set there, so because their interface wasn't totally ready they made some techs available to assist the calibrators.

The shootout is for enthusiasts who will pay for calibrators, if there was no market for these sets outside calibrators they surely wouldn't manufacture them. The shootout gets lots of press. It's just about the same amount to have DeWayne calibrate your set if he's in your area as it is Best Buy's Geek Squad, DeWayne, Kevin and David are all super nice guys, very easy to talk do and won't screw you over with an outrageous bill.

They do give full reports on out of box measurements as well as post calibration.

Those TVs are of course not for the average consumer who doesn't even pay for HD and stretches their SD feed only horizontally...but it's certainly noted by many an enthusiast across the various AV forums.

In 2014 Samsung had a 21:9 100+" LED there, it was pretty awful. The calibrators want a good set just like you and I do. If you're ever in the area you'll find Robert Zohn is the consummate host, very enthusiastic and very easy to chat with, he and his wife Wendy always welcome newcomers to the shootout. I wish I could go every year but Scarsdale alone is a 7.25 hour drive from Niagara Falls and I believe they're further down into Manhattan now.
    I stand corrected. Always good to learn more.
    Old 07-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #580
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks

I've had my TV for close to a decade, so I'm tempted to wait the 6 months and see what deals pop up holiday time. It sounds like if prices drop and I can spend an extra $1k for an OLED it would be worth it. Right now it is a much bigger gap than that.
    I'm also looking at the Sony 900e. Been reading good things about it. I really want a 55 inch oled, but the price difference is significant. I too haven't purchased a new tv in 10 years. Id love to get a tv thats future proof with Dolby Vision, and the lg oled tvs have that and three other versions og HDR. Just may have to get one this holiday season.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:51 PM   #581
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

hey gang I'm no audiophile and I don't have much money but what's a decent sound bar I can get for my small apartment, I was looking at this one but I don't know anything http://www.samsung.com/us/television...mul-27,000,002
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 AM   #582
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    hey gang I'm no audiophile and I don't have much money but what's a decent sound bar I can get for my small apartment, I was looking at this one but I don't know anything http://www.samsung.com/us/television...mul-27,000,002
    this looks like the newer generation of the one I have in my house. Its in a small living room and the sound is really good. Big upgrade from the TV at a very small price, and the bass and simulated surround sound give just enough extra. It also pairs easily via BT and sounds really good playing music from my phone

I got it because I got a $150 gift card when I bought my mac and didnt really need anything else, and didnt want to spend extra money. I'm happy with it
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #583
    sbuzzz
    Hey Suri

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have that one. It works well, sounds good.
    sbuzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #584
    jamband1

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We just got this one (see below) this week, actually, based on this review:

https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb3621n-e8/review/

Costco has it on sale if that's an option for ya.
    jamband1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #585
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

thanks guys I'll read some reviews, just wanted to know if a sound bar like that was a good option
    Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #586
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The Ants Onkyo HTIAB special might be a good fit too.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #587
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

^ the ants special. still love mine
    Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #588
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Any early news on Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals? I'm in the market for a 55in $1000-1500 set. The LG OLED looks like the best deal right now (slightly out of that price range), but maybe there will be some good OLEDs in that range for the holiday sales.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZF7WCT/
    Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #589
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I think LG did a US pricing drop on the MSRPs of their OLEDs a few months ago, might explain those excellent prices - $1700 for a 4K OLED 55", the best picture we've ever seen, is pretty sweet.

Panasonic just introduced their 950 series (55" and 65") and 1000 series (65" and 77") OLEDs to the Canadian market, I cannot wait to move up to 4K and OLED (gotta be 65" minimum) but I don't think my finances will allow it this year. Very happy I jumped from a 50" GT50 Panny plasma to the 60" VT60 just before end of 2013...it makes waiting just a little bit easier when your picture is already stunning and big.
    Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #590
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think LG did a US pricing drop on the MSRPs of their OLEDs a few months ago, might explain those excellent prices - $1700 for a 4K OLED 55", the best picture we've ever seen, is pretty sweet.

Panasonic just introduced their 950 series (55" and 65") and 1000 series (65" and 77") OLEDs to the Canadian market, I cannot wait to move up to 4K and OLED (gotta be 65" minimum) but I don't think my finances will allow it this year. Very happy I jumped from a 50" GT50 Panny plasma to the 60" VT60 just before end of 2013...it makes waiting just a little bit easier when your picture is already stunning and big.
    I don't think I can justify a $1G bump to go from 55-65in.

You think at this price it is worth just getting this TV? This includes free installation, so at $1700 it is covering nearly everything I want. Not sure it will get much better.

I normally don't see great deals on cutting edge items (OLED would fall into that category, I think). It is usually items they are looking to clear out of their warehouse to make room for other stuff. But probably no harm in waiting another two weeks to see what happens.
    Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #591
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I will probably pick up a 65 inch OLED next year at some point going from my 60 inch ST60 plasma. I kind of wanted larger than 65 but not sure it would even make sense in my living room....
    Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #592
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like the TV I listed will have a deal at Costco this Friday. Have to think they will match Amazon, if not do better.

http://www.costcoholidaysavingsbook....017?pg=18#pg18
    Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #593
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks like the TV I listed will have a deal at Costco this Friday. Have to think they will match Amazon, if not do better.

http://www.costcoholidaysavingsbook....017?pg=18#pg18
    Got this for $1649 this morning off Costco. Costco has a 2 year warranty on TVs, this came with an additional 3 years (5 years total). Also was $50 cheaper than Amazon.

Not a steal, but for that price to get a OLED I'm pretty pleased.
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #594
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Hmmmm LG 65 B7 Black Friday sale is extremely tempting
    Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #595
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going to wait for next year's OLED models before upgrading. Similar to Doby, I still have a VT50 65" that works great (I know he has the VT60). The deals on the 2017 LG's right now are really good, but I just feel like the 2018 might be when they really get everything right and hopefully prices for larger screens (75"+) will start coming down. I also need to be convinced that I shouldn't get a projector instead for my theater room. I have the perfect viewing environment for a projector, so I need to be certain that I won't miss the large screen of a projector now that reasonably priced 4k projectors are finally available in favor of the better image quality of a smaller OLED.

Last edited by Benny003; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #596
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'm going to wait for next year's OLED models before upgrading. Similar to Doby, I still have a VT50 65" that works great (I know he has the VT60). The deals on the 2017 LG's right now are really good, but I just feel like the 2018 might be when they really get everything right and hopefully prices for larger screens (75"+) will start coming down. I also need to be convinced that I shouldn't get a projector instead for my theater room. I have the perfect viewing environment for a projector, so I need to be certain that I won't miss the large screen of a projector now that reasonably priced 4k projectors are finally available in favor of the better image quality of a smaller OLED.
    If I had a room conducive to it, I would have strongly considered projector.

I was upgrading from a 2006 Sony Bravia LCD, so this will be dazzling to me. I've waited long enough, had to pull the trigger.
    Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #597
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

I am now actively looking for reasons not to buy the 65 inch B7A model next week for $2299.

I could wait until Super Bowl/Presidents Day weekend but not really sure I want to.
    Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #598
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

My 2012 Panasonic shit the bed yesterday

I need a new one. This room has a ton of light and the tv is literally only used for live sports and my kids cartoons. I really don’t think that an oled is necessary.

Any suggestions on regular LEDs? 55in is my max size
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #599
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    55in is my max size
    sounds like my honeymoon

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #600
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    My 2012 Panasonic shit the bed yesterday

I need a new one. This room has a ton of light and the tv is literally only used for live sports and my kids cartoons. I really don’t think that an oled is necessary.

Any suggestions on regular LEDs? 55in is my max size
    I'm in a similar position. Really pissed at Panasonic. I had a 55" that I really liked, especially it's 240hz refresh rate for sports. I had to have the main board replaced in February, and not even a year later it's shit the bed again. I had to pay full cost the first time replacing the board because the TV was out of warranty. Purchased it 1/1/15, died 1/5/17 - literally a few days after warranty expired and they wouldn't do shit. Now they won't cover anything despite me having purchased a new board this year. Fuck them! /rant

I'm probably looking at some cheaper 4k TVs now. Don't see much value left in buying a standard 1080p TV. I've been looking at the TCL 55" P Series. It gets pretty good reviews, has HDR and Dolby Vision, and has local area dimming which is pretty nice for it's price at $600. It isn't a top of the line set, but it's just going to be a semi-casual TV for our apartment's living room for a few year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/1...best-budget-tv

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote