Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - BWGK on Vinyl
Thread: BWGK on Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #64
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJCL3 View Post
Good lord that's an expensive stylus. Can you tell a difference enough to justify spending that money?
I originally listened to a similar turntable with the Goldring Elektra stylus, which retails for around $90. The dealer then let me hear the same record on a similar turntable but with that $300 stylus and man, it was absolutely night and day.

Within the first 60 seconds of the record I looked at the dealer and said "damn, I can't believe this is the same record." The percussion in particular sounded real. Previously it had sounded like an ordinary recording, with the 1012GX it sounded like the cymbals were in the room with me.

Now I don't get duped by stupid sales techniques. I watched and knew than the previous turntable had simply been unplugged and replaced with the new one. The cables were the same, the Roxsan amplifier was the same, same phono preamp, etc.

I would definitely recommend the original turntable I was listening to (Rega P1 with Goldring Elektra) to anyone looking for an entry-level turntable at the $350-level, but yes the upgrade in stylus was well worth the money.

Oh and the turntable I bought came with that stylus, so I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP for it!!

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-12-2009 at 07:33 AM.