Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #19
Typical_Ant

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw209 View Post
I think you're taking this too far in the other direction. Boyd was a showman -- and was absolutely integral to their becoming famous and becoming as big as they did. The sound of the violin made them standout even more than having a sax did, and his showmanship was a draw in and of itself. DMB doesn't become DMB without Boyd. Fans ate up everything he did for the first decade of the band's existence, and rightfully so.

But Boyd fell so drastically behind the rest of the band musically post 2000 or so that it began to show regularly -- and we've all heard it in countless live recordings. I would never believe Boyd ever 'wanted out'. Roi's death affected everyone. He'd still be there had the band not removed him due to both his falling behind musically and the harassment allegations.

There are times I definitely miss the violin (Satellite, Crush, Ants, etc.) but he doesn't fit in the band anymore because they've moved beyond him musically.
I 100% believe his heart was not into it anymore for years. He was lying to himself and it was obvious. Drugs or whatever else was going on with him, he was a shell of himself from 2011 on. And I'm a huge fan of his. I think he played his heart out when it was his turn to solo. But he quit trying to weave in all those awesome underlying parts he used to do in the 90's/2000's. Basically would just jump up for a jam on his parts and then sit in the dark smoking the rest of the show.

I am not taking it too far as this board jumps on every chance they get to point out that he sucked and always did. That's only been prevalent for the last 2 years or so. It's just a bandwagon punching bag since he's easy to pick on. I
Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote