Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #18
jw209

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical_Ant View Post
Everyone wants to keep looking for reasons that Boyd sucked from Day 1. He didn't. If he did this band would have had a new fiddle player in the mid 90's when they hit it big. Everyone loved boyd until the last decade.
I think you're taking this too far in the other direction. Boyd was a showman -- and was absolutely integral to their becoming famous and becoming as big as they did. The sound of the violin made them standout even more than having a sax did, and his showmanship was a draw in and of itself. DMB doesn't become DMB without Boyd. Fans ate up everything he did for the first decade of the band's existence, and rightfully so.

But Boyd fell so drastically behind the rest of the band musically post 2000 or so that it began to show regularly -- and we've all heard it in countless live recordings. I would never believe Boyd ever 'wanted out'. Roi's death affected everyone. He'd still be there had the band not removed him due to both his falling behind musically and the harassment allegations.

There are times I definitely miss the violin (Satellite, Crush, Ants, etc.) but he doesn't fit in the band anymore because they've moved beyond him musically.

(And of course like every other thread here, a totally unrelated topic turns into a debate about Boyd )

Last edited by jw209; 06-08-2022 at 10:15 AM.
jw209 is offline   Reply With Quote