Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #52
unccrombie
HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
Yeah, with that amount I wouldn't either.

There was a good chunk of time back in 2008-2010 where I wasn't concerned about my student loans, and thus was investing my regular $2k-3k every couple months into a new stock. I've had fun doing individual stock picking, especially focusing on good dividend payers.

I'm up 80% in a pure dollars invested standpoint, but this also corresponded with a rising market. I did a quick scenario if I'd stayed in the S&P 500 index fund I was originally in back in 2008, and I would have come out just about the same.

To play that game, you have to expect you'll have a recurring $2-3k every couple months though. I wouldn't mess around with your dollars for two reasons:

1.) The market is just too overpriced. Even if you are a consummate "lol r u dumb the market will go up fourever", it's still wise to enter after a pullback. I just came in at a good time. I would never trust myself in a market like today.

2.) It's just not worth it unless you know that $2-4k will be replenished quickly (i.e. the majority of your paycheck is free for you to do whatever with it, so you can just save up. A lot of people don't have that luxury with rent and house pmts).
yeah, i was kind of having the same feelings and thoughts. so where's the best place i should be putting that? ideally that's housing down payment, engagement ring, bed money. so i want access to it when i need it, and i'd be satisfied with > 1% return. i know a couple of the online banks (ally, etc) offer high yield (0.85%) savings, but I don't really want to open a savings with them when i could be getting a larger discount via auto insurance through usaa and their savings (0.25% but i save on car insurance too. hell, maybe i just answered my own question )

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-19-2013 at 06:11 AM.
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote