Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #47
unccrombie
HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
I'm a big fan of the Roth IRA, especially if you are under 30. My company recently added a Roth 401k to the traditional 401k in the past year, which is pretty nice because you can mix them at whatever % you like. The company match will always be traditional though.

I'm mostly in a debt reduction stage these days. Trying to payoff all my CC debt and my Sallie Mae loan (smallest of my student loans) by year end. If I didn't incur $7,000 in medical expenses in 6 months, my CC debt would have already been gone. (my insurance really sucks balls)

For anyone that has happenstance medical problems seemingly every year: Get a Health Savings Account if you can. The tax advantages are great.
i've been contributing since 23 (now 26) at 8-10% a year with a company flat rate of 10%. it's been a great scenario especially since our funds have averaged 8.5% RoR over that time, but our company is gradually dropping down to a 6% match over the next 2 years. I also just switched over from a traditional 401k account to a roth account for work. Plan to use that going forward.

all my "extra money" just sits in my checking though. need to seriously look in putting half of it somewhere

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote