Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #20085
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
That's right, I forget only the first 4 were AAA (those are my favorite, Brothers In Arms is not a go to DS album for me and I've actually never heard On Every Street.)

It looks like there are 2-LP, 45 RPM versions of the S/T and Love Over Gold coming from MoFi. I'd really like to check one out, but I can't imagine that they'll be THAT much better than the Bellman/Grundman AAA cuts that we already talk about so much in here. I might pre-order the S/T album as that is the only one of the first 4 I don't have the reissue of, I just have an original copy.
Yeah I am probably going to order either S/T or Communique to compare to the Bernie cuts.

I might consider the analogue > DSD SACD release for Love Over Gold, but there's no way I'm picking up the 45rpm vinyl as Telegraph Road is 140% longer than optimal side times and 116% over recommended max times/side according to RTI's FAQs. I'm sure it'll sound good still but man, the Bernie cuts are so good.

Lots of BIA sounds dated to me, not just how much more sterile it is from the production moreso than it being a 16/44.1 digital recording but just the songwriting overall, but Why Worry and The Man's Too Strong have really good surround mixes so usually I'll stream one of those via my PC using Plex from 5.1 24/96 FLAC files.

Although the source material is not 24/96, Chuck Ainlay explains the process for the 20th anniversary here -

High-Resolution Mixing in 5.1 — the Chuck Ainlay Way ~ Part One
http://web.archive.org/web/200904131...in_arms_01.asp

Part Two - Preserving the Original Intent... DVD-Audio or SACD?
http://web.archive.org/web/200812300...in_arms_02.asp

Both articles are very informative and worthwhile reads.

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-12-2019 at 10:52 AM.
dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote