Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
This is awesome! Do you have any pictures from this? Can you tell us more about what it was like talking to the other band members in that early backstage setting?
I really wish I had more photos than I do. My early experiences with other bands taught me that if I want to be "one of the guys" and be someone they can just hang with, I don't ask for photos or take photos. I do have a few from the very earliest days, I'll see what I have in the house (most of my stuff in storage).

I can tell you that talking to them in the earliest days was just... they were so sweet, so smart, and so FUCKING FUNNY... At my 3rd show I met them all, including Carter's older daughter (or maybe he just told me about her, I remember talking to him about her and he had family there), Roi was INSANELY smart and funny, Dave was back and forth between a bit shy and also crazy observant, smart and funny, and Stefan & Boyd also friendly but I didn't get to know them a lot better until later.

They all traveled on the same single tour bus (as opposed to each having their own which happened later) through at least '98, maybe 99. I found that way more fun because, well it was everyone on one bus. After shows a lot of times in the early days, even where there were dressing rooms in the venue, the band many gathered on the bus (except Dave or Dave & Boyd who did the aftershow meet and greets most often). Music would be mostly great R&B or some jazz. I remember Carter & Roi playing DJ the most on the bus, but maybe that wasn't always the case.

And in those days you could tell them something and they'd sometimes actually follow up. I was somewhere and "the worst movie ever" was a topic, and someone mentioned some horrible movie I'd never seen, and I told them the movie. Some months later somehow it came up again and Dave had actually found it on VHS and watched it, and apparently it really was, possibly, the worst movie ever. I just couldn't believe he found it and watched it! I know I should remember the name, but I did write it down in my little journal from that time (which is the only reason I remember this happened) so sometime I'll go look for it.

Last thing I'll say, which is a personal special factor from those earlier days, is that I was lucky enough to meet ALL of their mothers. Every main band member, all 5, I met each of their moms. Which was such a gift, because Carter's mom died I think a year later, and I have no idea if all the rest of their moms are still alive or not. That felt much more natural or easy in those days, I can't imagine their moms go a lot now or that it's as chill that you just cross paths with them backstage now, but who knows....

I hope that gave you some idea of what it was like then! OH, and when they first got the in-ear-monitors, before smart fellow fans figured out how to tap into the frequency and listen in too, a few shows I was lucky to stand side stage near the monitor area and be offered the headphones that, when you listened, you could hear the banter, mostly between Dave & Carter but also others at times. THAT WAS PURE COMEDY! Some of the funniest shit I ever heard, which probably a lot of folks here have heard because didn't people start finding a way to record those and share them? I feel like I remember that but maybe I imagined it....

Thanks for asking, it was good to reminisce!
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote