Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Only 1 album in 9 years
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Only 1 album in 9 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
Kind of the exact opposite of what I anticipated when making it... I didn't predict complete apathy... I didn't know fans were so upset since 2005 really. Maybe 2001, but I would bet a lot of people in here weren't around as fans back then..

I do think Big Whiskey re invigorated the fan base and got a lot of newer fans on board. But I think that was the last time they'll ever appeal to the younger fan base again.. It's too far gone now. Like the gorge in 22 is going to be old people.. People 30 and up... 10 years ago it was still 20's-30's...
I hear you, but from my perspective your start carries some negativity....not that that was your intention.

I definitely want more music...always...but I'm a big fan of all but two of their albums. CT is an album that I very much enjoy. The evolution of songwriting and sound of a band is of the journey I love, even when I don't always like the results (e.g.: ED & SU, as well as a various tunes like Plastic Girl among others).

Dave's still writing great stuff, but the process of packaging material and trying to sell it is just a crazy endeavor these days, especially for artists that used to make significant amounts of money from sales. If they spent even a small fraction of what they used to on promotional efforts, they'd still be pretty deep in the hole after the initial sales "rush" for a new release occurred.

That said, there's at least two other albums they could have released during there career:
- 2004 - 2006 tunes and the
- 2015 tunes
The latter obviously adding to the post 2012 total. And then there's another two albums (at least) of material that have no official studio releases throughout the years.

The longer the band is around WITHOUT regularly releasing new material, the more stuck the fans will get in their myopic views of what the band is supposed to sound like and what constitutes "good" songs. That said, no one has to like anything (let alone everything) from any artist.

To a certain extent, I don't fault the band for recognizing the lack of benefit of officially releasing new music. Despite having more income (and theoretically more disposable income), their fan base isn't buying the new music. I'm not interested in the argument about the quality of said music, because my ears and I strongly disagree with any notion that it's mediocre let alone garbage.

We've got no choice but to take it when it comes (obviously). I definitely wish they recorded and released a lot more music than they have.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote