Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ryley Walker To Release Lillywhite Sessions Cover Album
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #133
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ryley Walker To Release Lillywhite Sessions Cover Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
I experienced all of that, and LWS is, depending on the day, my favorite collection of songs from this band.

I'm failing to connect that to caring if someone covering it had the same life experience with the music as I did. Either I'm going to like the way his takes on the songs sound, or I'm not. If they sound good, I don't really care if he doesn't love the originals as much as I do. That's kind of a weird take, really.
I’m not an old fan, so I didn’t grow up with DMB nor did I experience the Lillywhite Sessions as it happened. (Although I did experience the Batson Sessions leak, and I’m very grateful for that). But the Lillywhite Sessions isn’t an album. It’s unreleased material that is sacred for us. It’s our thing. Like, everyone hates on DMB, but we brotherin have our own little thing. The Lillywhite Sessions is for us. It’s not an album, and I’m glad (though I admit it’s selfish) that the rest of the world has no fucking clue about it. So this guy (no offense Ryley, Primrose is a solid album - and besides, you don’t need my approval. I’m sure plenty of other people eat your music up.) this guy makes a cover album of the Sessions and is putting it out in the world. I don’t know man, it rubbed me the wrong way the second I read about it. I’m not doubting Ryley’s fandom, nor his musical ability. I just think the Lillywhite Sessions is sacred territory. Cover fucking Busted Stuff for god’s sake.
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote