Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - How many folks pre-ordered WATM?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #114
CapnHani06
JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: How many folks pre-ordered WATM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
I don't know that you're wrong or need to be validated or corrected, but clearly music labels and game developers (and probably other industries) want people to pre-order their products. There's a push for it, and usually there's an incentive to pre-order, such as a pre-order only bonus or perceived limited availability. I would argue that pre-ordering is not just to own the actual product, but to get something extra with it. That's pretty standard, I believe.

In this case, you're definitely correct: pre-ordering is ordering.

I'm not mad at them for not incentivizing, but the only way I'd pre-order is if I have a reason to, but honestly when we have the ability to stream music at midnight on release day, and listen to it on YouTube, why would I order something months in advance that I'm not convinced is going to be that good, and I can go get it at Target later if I feel inclined? Being my favorite band is not enough reason to give them a loan. That's just me.
I buy this (ha) and appreciate the reply here. I guess the tension here is the convention that these labels have established is pre-ordering has its perks because it technically only serves them. I'm coming from a perspective of I'm going to buy the vinyl regardless, but acknowledge that not everyone is in a position or has interest to do that.
- Sean
CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote