Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #87
crew355

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
the number of big, high profile movies I keep discovering that it does NOT stream, it's ridiculous. It's been a little disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
Agreed Kevin. It seems like Netflix is moving more towards TV show and competing with Hulu. My recommended lists are like 85% TV shows. They seem not to care as much about movies.
It's not that simple. Netflix has to quite literally "rent" the titles, in the same fashion we were all accustomed to doing for years in video stores. Yet they pay *slightly* more, and have to balance those hundreds of millions of dollars against keeping their business model alive, retaining clients, and maintaining a profit. And there are many titles that the studios simply don't make available for rent, for years - if ever. This is precisely why Netflix is sort of assuming a studio role (Arrested Development movie, House of Cards); along with Kickstarter, and other publicly funded project sources, we should see the industry change soon.

Plus studios are assholes. The creators who conceptualize the "big" movies you speak of often have no control over its ownership. Not to mention, studios are commonly buddy-buddy financially with the companies that provide network television, so there is "incentive" to not deal with Netflix at all.

Given all of this, and the tons of details we DON'T know, I'm actually thrilled that Netflix provides what it DOES. Buy the movies you love, and rely on Netflix and the like to appease your entertainment means with the more pedestrian titles.

2 cents.
crew355 is offline   Reply With Quote