Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - What Do You Consider DMB 1/2/3/4/5 ?? Best and Worst of Each Time Period??
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
Blackandblu34

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What Do You Consider DMB 1/2/3/4/5 ?? Best and Worst of Each Time Period??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer43 View Post
i always think of the band in a dark period from like 2005-2007

everything slowed down, not much new material, never finished songs...

isn't this when Dave wrote a letter to each of the band members wanting to break up? i think Leroi's passing was a pivotal moment of do we continue and how do we continue... thank God Tim had just started the tour with them in 08! i remember getting the Warehouse email.

Hard to believe LeRoi will have been gone 10 years on Aug. 19th
Totally agree. I almost gave up on the band. 05 wasn't terrible, but some runs during the sets were awful. Hunger, Time of the season, Dream Girl, Louisiana Bayou, mixed in between Crash, DDTW and Everyday got really old. Dave says at the end of Red Rocks 05 though how it was one of the best tours the band had ever had. Might have just been feelin it in the moment, and those RR shows were stellar.

06 had some good moments, but you could definitely tell the band was in a different place. Slowed down for sure. Listen to the Live Trax from the first show of that tour and Dave sounds flat out bored.

I heard the Vegas shows were going to be it for the band. They almost called it quits but went ahead and played, then cancelled the tour they were going to go on that spring over seas. The summer tour didn't start til August presumably because the band was working stuff out.

Some people love the 07 sound, but I got sick of hearing a 7 min piano solo in the middle of Two Step, Jimi, #41, and then Eh Hee, Cornbread, YMDT, Louisiana Bayou. I didn't like the slowed down jazz jams featuring Butch or him copying every note Dave played on the guitar.

08 saved it for me. I know Tim is getting flac now, but at the time it was amazing to have that energy back. And the band felt energized. Similar to this year.
Blackandblu34 is offline   Reply With Quote