Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Will the Fonz shed light on Mac Head?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #34
road_designer
Legalize Freedom

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Will the Fonz shed light on Mac Head?

from izstyle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL
Thanks to all of my new friends over on myspace.com, I've been able to put together an interview with me, using all the questions they asked. I thought that this would be a great way to respond to all the inquiries that are being thrown my way. For the sake of the format, I'm calling the interviewer "MSF" for myspace.com friends, and the interviewee "SL" for, well, me. Again, these are actual questions and comments that I've received.

MSF: Now, I just have a question, something that a lot of fans probably wonder and would like to know that answer to: There are a lot of songs that have appeared over the years, and disappeared - JTR, Monkey Man, Blue Water, Crazy Easy, Sugar Will, Kit Kat Jam, Big Eyed Fish, Let You Down, etc. Are these songs that you guys still play around with and talk about playing [live], or are they shelved and gone? Thanks for any word on that; I'm just curious (as are many).

SL: Great question. I've heard a lot of our fans ask this same question. Let me set the record straight. None of our songs are ever put in that Never Play Again box. In fact, every song is fair game to be played on a tour. The problem is that just playing any given song at the drop of a hat isn't the easiest thing to do. In fact, for most of our songs, it's impossible. It's not just like getting back on a bike - it's more like pulling all those crazy tricks you learned back when you where a kid. With a little practice and research though, the songs can still come back to us like we'd never stopped playing them. Last year, we only had a short time to rehearse before our tour and that time was mostly spent learning new songs. Every now and then, we'll use sound check to rehearse, but lots of times, we just need to take it easy to save energy for the shows. I have a good feeling though that a lot of these songs that haven't been heard in the past couple of years will make some big returns this summer. Just remember: we would never, ever throw away any songs. Sometimes we just run out of time to prepare them properly for the stage. It's not a good feeling to get halfway through a song and being like, "Oh, shit! What's the next section?!?"

MSF: Just bought my ticket for New Orleans. Can't wait to see you and the band there. On another matter, your song "Hunger for the Great Light" sounds suspiciously a lot like my band's "Song That Dave Matthews Band Will Most Likely Rip Off Someday". I'm sure it's just a coincidence but our lawyers no doubt have a few matters that they will like to discuss with you guys. ;-)

SL: Is it all about having sex too? I hope so! Those are some of the best songs. I wrote the chords to that song years ago and it was the first thing that came to me one day while just messing around with the guitar. Mark liked it, made a beat, and we put it down. Yo, call my guys and they'll do lunch! Lawyers love to eat! I'm sure they'll work it out!

MSF: It's amazing that I can be this star-struck sitting in front of my computer... ha-ha. But seriously, if you had any idea how much of my life I've spent listening to the magic you make...I've got more pictures of you (and the fellas) hanging in my house than of my own family. Anyways, hope you read this. We all love you, brother. Just one request... Never ever stop. Ever...ha-ha

SL: NO worries, we won't! Thanks dude...

MSF: Looking forward to catching a few shows this summer!! What's your favorite song to play live??

SL: My favorite song actually changes night after night but some of my all-time favorites are: Hunger, What You Are, Ants, Louisiana Bayou, Halloween, and Spoon, just to name a few. I don't have just one all-time favorite.

MSF: How's Mr. Winkler gonna react when realizes the original Fonz is on myspace?

SL: I have mass respect for the original Fonz, but I also wear the name proudly. It was given to me when I was around 17 by the other guys in the band. It started by just saying the last part of Stefan (phawn) and it morphed into Fonz. Thank you, Happy Days!

MSF: Dude, check out Mt. Hood sometime. We've had an amazing season here in Oregon...At the end, we will have had a 6-month season with more pow than I can even think about! Peace and keep it up!

SL: I've never been to Mt. Hood, but I am so jealous! I recently moved to Southern California for many reasons, but a big, big one is that during my off months in the winter, I'll be closer to the mountains in the west that I love so much.

MSF: Hey, man. So I saw you guys are doing a few shows with Matisyahu...just wondering what you think of his stuff. Pretty good live show in my opinion. I hope I can catch you guys together later this year. Take care.

SL: I have not seen the list of opening acts yet, although I probably should know who we're planning to have come out with us. I've recently started listening to Matisyahu and really like him. He brings a fresh thing to dub reggae music. I've heard one live show of his on a CD I have - great band! I hope this is true; I'll have to get that list of openers!

MSF: Hey. First, thanks for the awesome concert memories (James Brown in particular. What a blast that was!) Anyways, I remember watching the "Stand Up" DVD and saw a Subaru WRX parked in the lot. Is that yours? As you can probably see I'm a huge Suby fan.

SL: Sorry, I have never owned a Subaru. I'm an Audi man myself. I own an S6 Avant. I love Audi; I tend to geek out while around other Audi drivers

MSF: Earlier in the day, I visited your page and saw that you had somewhere along the line of 500-600 friends. Now I see that you have 900. Is it difficult answering all those friend requests?

SL: Well, I'm having a little bit of difficulty keeping up - actually I'm pretty behind on reading all the mail, but I'm working on it. I'm thinking of different creative ways of responding to everyone's requests. I like the interview idea the best so far.

MSF: Hey bro. Not sure if you take the time to respond to everyone...but you are an amazing underrated bassist...I've seen DMB plenty of times and love watching you rock out. Can't wait for the new album. And by the way, would you happen to know Wally gator Watson? Ok this is a question that needs answering, so please respond. Have you heard of a site called dmbtabs.com? And did you make an account called sideout99?

SL: I'm sorry, I don't know Wally Gator Watson. I've also never heard of the site called dmbtabs.com nor have I ever set up an account called sideout99.

MSF: I love ya and all....but Brad Pitt and the O.C.?

SL: Hey now. First off, Brad Pitt is not too shabby a person to look up to. I got to hang out with him and Jennifer way back at the Tibet Freedom Festival and they were a lot of fun. He was really down to earth and I have great memories from that day. Not to mention, Kalifornia, Thelma & Louis, A River Runs Through It, Se7en, Snatch. Plus he's with Angelina Jolie now, who has the same birthday as me by one year. GO BRAD!
Onto the O.C...I was born in Anaheim, CA, which is in the O.C. I lived my whole life wanting to live in Orange County, so last fall, my wife and I decided to move out there. I got hooked on the show when it first came out because it was about the county where I took my first breath. So yes, I love the O.C. AND Brad Pitt is one of my heroes!

MSF: I appreciate the add Fonz. Any chance on ever making it to Alaska? Thanks again.
MSF: Just wanted to say thanks for everything you do. Been following you almost since the beginning. But when are you guys going to get on over to the UK and entertain us fans who can't afford to fly out there to see you do what you do?!

SL: I hope to go to Alaska in a helicopter with some buddies and our boards.
We hope to get back to the UK and Europe real soon. It's been way too long since we've been back.

MSF: I love the work you do on bass. It's absolutely innovative and amazing. I'm a guitar player and I play a little bass on the side. I was just wondering what bass you use and what gauge you use on your strings?

SL: I play a Modulus, a Ken Smith, a Warwick, and a vintage Fender. I use 45 to 105-gauge string. I play through an Ampeg SVT with 2 twelves, and two 8 ten cabinets. Keep the low end bouncing.

MSF: Dave's music and your taste in music doesn't really mix...I always thought that was funny. You rock though!

SL: I don't quite agree that Dave's and my taste in music don't mix. I don't think that I've ever really said anywhere that I only listen to one type of music. I was a young adult in the 90's so I really connected with the music that was being created at that time. I'm a generation away from Dave and the rest of the band, so while I had Nirvana they had Led Zeppelin - although I'm in no way comparing the two.

I love all music as long as it is good. I love my harder bands, my hip hop and rap, but I also would spend hours (with Dave) when I was young listening to XTC, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, R.E.M., Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, King Crimson, a whole lot of Peter Gabriel, John Prine, Youssou N'Dour, Vavaldi, Midnight Oil, Mozart, and Bach, just to name a few. I still listen to all these bands and others that I listened to when I was young. More than anything, I enjoy writing music with Dave because of our huge similarity in musical tastes. When it comes to music my mind is as open as the universe is large...

If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
road_designer is offline   Reply With Quote