Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Rate the Album
Thread: Rate the Album
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #36
dmbwildcat
Love You Oh So Well

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rate the Album

I'm really disappointed. I think most of the songs are average at best...its like Everyday 2.0 but worse. Most of these songs would have been fine for a Dave solo record but not a "full band" release. I think Cant Stop, That Girl is You, When I'm Weary, should have NEVER made a record. Bkdkd or whatever it is, is not a song. I mean the jam is fine, but 27 seconds on a record, stop playing with me. Its obviously from Be Yourself, and that song is hideous. Samurai Cop, Come Tomorrow, Here on Out, Again and Again are average at best. They are fine, but not remarkable in ANYWAY. The same could just about be said from VA in the rain, but I think its atleast a little more creative. I do like Black and Blue Bird, best song IMO, and its not close. The instrumentation is great and the lyrics are "abstract Dave" at his near best. There is not babbling about a pretty girl, or kids, or just other random catch phrases. There is an actual melody, which is pretty rare on this album. Come on Come on is nice too, the guitar is great, but the lyrics are pretty trite. I think She is pretty good. All in all, this one is basically a waste for me. We waited 6 years for this!?!? No one but Lillywhite should EVER produce this band. UTTAD, CRASH, BTCS, LILLYWHITE SESSIONS, AFTW, are all FAR SUPERIOR to Everyday, Stand Up, Big Whiskey, and Come Tomorrow. Whats the running theme here? Lillywhite!!!!! I've been a fan since 94 and have seen 48 shows since 1996. I was trading tapes when I was in 10th grade, I saw the first 7 shows of the 2000 (Lillywhite Sessons) Tour. I've been around
a long time and grew up with this band. It is so hard for me to know what this band once was both live and in studio to what they are now. I know that Leroi passing was monumental and of course with Boyd gone now the band is a shell of what it once was. I guess I should be happy with new music, but I didn't enjoy Jordan with the Wizards and I don't enjoy DMB without Roi and Boyd. The musical interplay is what hooked me, and its basically gone. The DMB I love didn't need an electric guitar, a trumpet, or video screens. The just needed soft blue and purple lights and their instruments, tickets were $40 and the memories priceless. I know things change and the fact that Im 37 and not 20 obviously changes how I feel or how excited I get over new music.

Maybe my memories are just too good and nothing will ever do them justice. I named my son Carter for cryin out loud! I will always love this band, my life would have been so less enjoyable without them, and for that Im thankful. Maybe in the music industry its easy to get bored with the sound that made you famous and people always want to reinvent themselves, I guess Im just a prisoner of my own nostalgia.

Look at my avatar, quite possibly the most perfect baby ever!
dmbwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote