Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Carters drum sticks
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #52
aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carters drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
This is an interesting perspective to me. I don't know this specific detail re: Carter's attitude to this, like how he'd answer it if asked directly about not doing more tech interviews or clinics, but I will say I know other musicians well-known and well-respected for their craft and there are a LOT of reasons some prefer to not focus on that off-stage. No one should ever assume the lack of tech-talk or activity means they don't know gear backwards and forwards, up and down.

Because you know his tech well and have even been behind his drumset at times before a show, I'm assuming you have all kinds of perspective on Carter's reasons in particular for not doing more publicly-facing stuff, so if your impression is he's not that wrapped up in (and therefore not the best to speak publicly about) his specific gear & gear in general, I believe you.

But it feels important to say that there are many musicians who could out-expert just about any of their peers on equipment and tech details & style, but it's just not what they want to do or who they feel like being offstage. But I pity the fool who tells them they must not know their stuff because they don't do clinics
Maybe that was the wrong way of putting it, but he really doesn't care too much about gear selection. He could make a Walmart cardboard kit sound amazing. He basically relies on Henry 100%. He requests certain things here and there for his kit, but he's definitely not into the spotlight like others. That absolutely doesn't mean he doesn't know his gear. Moreso it seems he doesn't put much thought into it as some.

I think it's more likely he could just like his privacy and not want to be around people much, which if so, I completely understand. I've never met him, only have a voicemail. Henry knows his drum gear to the T, and so Carter really doesn't have to think about it much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk