Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
These are awesome stories. Can you tell us what question you asked that got you VIP tickets at the Billie Eilish show? Also, what was the most surprising thing you learned about a band member, or the most interesting thing you learned about how the band/crew operates, during your years backstage?
Howdy, so, I'm not gonna say more about the Billie Eilish question. Maybe I shouldn't mention things like that if I'm not going to explain. Apologies! When the guy gave us the tix and my daughter burst into tears with joy, I realized that we'd done a good job of making him feel comfy that we'd never get on the internet give details of his kindness. The question I asked might say too much about it, even though this is far from a Billie Eilish fan page But still, a lot of times the reason you get in the door is because you're very quiet about who helps you and how. So I'll try to be better about not mentioning things I won't explain further.

I love your other question though. In a related vein, I will totally answer this, but I guess I'll just say plainly that anyone who's spent that much time behind the scenes (and who believes in maintaining good karma) is only going to say what's appropriate to share publicly.

That said, in reading another couple of threads about Roi & Carter, I guess (18 yrs later) I was surprised to hear they're considered the most private members of the band. That makes me want to say right away 2 things that answer both of your questions (what was surprising and what did I notice about how they functioned):

1. We all know Dave is wildly smart and wildly funny. Any good between song banter or a single Dave & Tim show will make you wonder if he missed his stand up comedy calling. But what I wonder if is widely known is this: LeRoi was JUST as smart and JUST as funny. Like, especially if Dave & Roi ever got into a riff with each other, I'd probably still be giggling about it a month later.

2. Carter was by far, or along with Boyd, the easiest 2 band members to approach when I didn't know any of them. Granted, I was looking to talk to Carter right from the start because his drumming was one of the things that blew my mind the 1st time. Although, that said, when I found him, I barely mentioned his drumming. I guess I've learned over time, if you want to keep the conversation going with well-known musicians, you don't talk to them about their own music. So reading today in particular that he's the most private band member now was an eye-opener. I wonder if that was the perception 18 yrs ago and I just didn't know that? Also, Carter and Stefan are also super funny, just for the record, so let me not leave this comment with anyone thinking they can't hold their own with the comic relief

Another thing, and it's one of things I miss most about hanging out with them, although this probably won't be a surprise to you guys either: All of them, but Dave and Roi in particular, know a ridiculous amount about SO MANY TOPICS, like I always felt like I'd taken a graduate course in some topic I knew nothing about after talking to any one of them for a solid amount of time. There was no end to the things they knew a lot about.

And something I noticed about how they operated... and this is a BIG one and I imagine not visible because most bands know to not make the OPPOSITE dynamic too visible. When you have a band that is 5 people, named after the singer, and the singer is mainly the person everyone wants to talk to or meet, it is natural for even the tightest band to develop tensions around the attention that the lead figure or most popular figure gets over everyone else. So one really GREAT thing that stood out for me about the dynamics between the other 4 members and Dave, is that I really don't remember ever feeling or noting or sensing a tension when people went nuts over Dave and either ignored other band members or didn't pay much attention to them.

One place I noticed this was when they were still on one bus, maybe the band's friends would hang out in dressing rooms at the venue, but often Carter, Roi and Stefan in particular could be found on the bus after a show, listening to music and talking to friends. Things would be chill (or loud!) and then especially when the bus was within view of fans waiting and watching it, all of a sudden there'd be this LOUD cheer of what sounded like a big crowd of fans, and someone in the band would say "Here comes Dave" but with ZERO tension, or grumpiness, or jealousy. It was simply a fact, Dave was close by which meant most people or everyone not in the band needed to say their goodbyes because Dave was about to get on and the bus was going to get on the road, either to their hotel or the next city.

I have been in so many similar situations and when the singer or most popular figure causes cheers or desperate rushes or squeals, there are eyerolls or snarky comments, either about the fans or the dynamics, even though most bands love their fans, this specific tension exists for so many bands who are otherwise really cool. And don't even get me started on the really snotty bands (who I don't hang out with but I've met many). They can be outright mean to fans who ask about the singer.

So I always noticed that the other guys really honestly seemed to have it as a non-issue or at least a very accepted and perfectly understandable dynamic that Dave was the focal point for so many and it was what it was. Maybe even some were grateful NOT to be that focal point, now that I'm reading how Roi and Carter were perceived as the most private.

So there ya go, that's the last thing for now. You ask great questions Sniper! Had to think about that last one....
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote