Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - If you were an Obama VOTER/SUPPORTER, has he lived up to your expectations?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: If you were an Obama VOTER/SUPPORTER, has he lived up to your expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson357 View Post
-Ending torture

Lol. This deserves to be first? How many people has the US waterboarded?
I based this on a rough chronological order...

Quote:
-Closing Gitmo

Not accomplished yet. Try again. Watch the news.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm read my post again, I CLEARLY said that some of these are works in progress. The fact is, he still signed an executive order to close Gitmo. Period.

Quote:
-Lifting restrictions on stem cell research

There were no restrictions of stem cell research. Watch the news, idiot. What he did was politicize stem cell research by putting it on the federal doll.
Bush had made it impossible for tax dollars to be used on stem cell research and Barack Obama reversed that; thus, a restriction on stem cell research was lifted. WATCH THE NEWS.....won't call you an idiot, because it's against the rules!

Quote:
-Increasing presence in Afghanistan

Funny, preemptive war and nation building was cause for national outrage for the 6 years prior to 1/20/09.
The fuck does that have to do with anything? He campaigned on focusing on this war, and he's done it. Another campaign promise kept.

Quote:
-Ending the Iraq War

Not done yet. Watch the news.
Once again, I CLEARLY STATED that some of these were works in progress. He set in motion a plan to be out of Iraq by August 2010 (I believe). So yes, I do watch the news, I know this is a work in progress, and yet he has still done what he can on the issue. It isn't realistic for him to have immediately pulled out and you know it.

Quote:
-Passing the stimulus bill

What is the unemployment rate? Watch the news.
It's 10.2%, the highest since conservative god Ronald Reagan let it reach 10.8% in the 1980s. What's your point? He still passed the stimulus.

Quote:
-Making progress on energy independence

HAHAHAHA. Please name me some legislation. The international effort just fell flat on its face, and so has the democrats only (job-killing) idea.
Oh, you mean like the $54 billion in funds toward energy in the stimulus?

Actually, shit, let me just post what Wikipedia has to say, just so you get all the facts:

On January 27, 2009, Obama issued two presidential memoranda concerning energy independence. One directed the Department of Transportation to raise fuel efficiency standards incrementally to 35 miles per US gallon (15 km/L) by 2020, and the other directed the Environmental Protection Agency to allow individual states to set stricter tailpipe emissions regulations than the federal standard.[41][161]
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides $54 billion in funds to double domestic renewable energy production, renovate federal buildings making them more energy-efficient, improve the nation's electricity grid, repair public housing, and weatherize modest-income homes.[162]
On February 10, 2009, Obama overturned a Bush administration policy that had opened up a five-year period of offshore drilling for oil and gas near both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has been quoted as saying, "To establish an orderly process that allows us to make wise decisions based on sound information, we need to set aside" the plan "and create our own timeline".[163]
On May 19, 2009, Obama announced a plan to increase the CAFE national standards for gasoline mileage, by creating a single new national standard that will create a car and light truck fleet in the United States that is almost 40 percent cleaner and more fuel-efficient by 2016 than it is today, with an average of 35.5 miles per gallon.[164] Environmental advocates and industry officials welcomed the new program, but for different reasons. Environmentalists called it a long-overdue tightening of emissions and fuel economy standards after decades of government delay and industry opposition. Auto industry officials said it would provide the single national efficiency standard they have long desired, a reasonable timetable to meet it and the certainty they need to proceed with product development plans.[164]

Quote:
-Health care reform

WHAT? Are you fucking serious? Watch the news, idiot. Are you really going to count this as something Obama has "accomplished?" This isn't even close to passing.
It's not close to passing? That sort of implies that it hasn't passed the House, isn't being brought to the floor of the Senate, and isn't guaranteed to be passed by the President. Even if you argue that the Senate won't pass it, it's only a vote or two away. So to argue it "isn't even close to passing" is fucking moronic.

So yeah. I wasn't just talking out of my ass there. I clearly stated these are works in progress, but they are issues he has tackled.