Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #2559
Route_2
What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
I've always been fascinated with that FIRE lifestyle and I admire people who pull it off, but I've also always known that I would never do it. I like having a fulfilling job and it turns out my fulfilling job pays pretty well, which allows me to plunge into my hobbies buying excessive stuff from time to time guilt free. I try very hard to find the right balance between being financially responsible and enjoying what having finances allows. Having a fulfilling job that pays well can be part of a well-balanced life. For the people who can accept a frugal lifestyle and don't enjoy being committed to a job, then FIRE is a great option, but it's not the only way to enjoy a life.
I hear you, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I don't hate my job and most days I feel quite fulfilled by it.

For me it's more about uncertainty in the future. Who knows what changes will occur in the future that will alter my career (maybe the ageism my Dad experienced has had a psychological effect on me). I just want the peace of mind to know that I don't NEED to work to sustain myself in the future and I get paid well enough where an increased saving rate does not negatively effect my lifestyle. It's like insurance.