Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #2253
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
I think two things play into it 1) hes hard to hear on live releases quite a bit, thats why I loved LT 40 so much. the bass was finally up in the mix.
2) people hear other instruments much clearer, the bass is often not the focal point, but if you removed the bass track the song would sound terrible. Most people aren't listening for what the bass does. Then you hear someone like Wooten, where the bass is more the focus, and you say "see, now thats a talented bass player!". Which he is of course, but with a different role.

Fonz is an incredible bass player and the "put another talented bass player up there and it sounds the same" is nonsense. The Fonz/Carter backbone of the band is very important to the sound.
Bolded is truth, I think most likely it would be fellow bass players and/or musicians in some form that are most likely to hear what the bass is doing in the mix. I never find Stefan's parts hard to pick up and he definitely isn't making the least amount of mistakes. Even on released titles you can hear flubs if you know what you're listening for - hard to find a version of Busted Stuff where Fonz doesn't play at least one bum note. Crash from LT4, Melissa from PP.

Still, turn up the LFE and listen to the 5.1 mix of Jimi Thing from CP, this is a great example of why I liken Fonz to McCartney...he's very busy and adds a lot to the flow of the song...but most won't really hear that unless you sit them down and point it out or direct them to listen specifically to what he's doing.