Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #25
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: From "DMB who?" to sitting next to Dave in a club booth @ TR3 in FIVE SHOWS

One more last last thing... I'm spacing on the guy who was always their main lighting designer's name, but I think he's still with them. So of course he's doing the lights for the show. And that can be interesting to watch because for all great LD's (and he's one), it's like they're playing an instrument on the light board, and watching their hands move and the lights change is cool.

But I also remember as giant screens and videos of the band more and more were projected on screens on the stage itself, I don't remember who used to coordinate the videos but THAT is fascinating. Watching them basically "edit" the show, choose which views each of us sees from the audience, while telling other cameramen/women what to focus on if they didn't do it on their own. That's very very interesting to observe too.

I know there are a few Pearl Jam fans here too, and this reminds me a little of I just watched the 8/10/18 Seattle show official concert video, shot by a guy named Blue Leach, and I was lucky to get to talk to him at the screening of one of PJ's Night 1 concerts in another city in that same run of shows. It's so interesting talking to someone who is trying to give the audience either further away in the seats or the audience at home the best representation of what is magical about the show. So talking to him was super cool, very nice guy. And DMB's crew were lovely people too in my experience. It sounds like many of them are still on board. Which is another thing to respect about DMB, and a few other bands, who've been touring for decades: Sometimes it's easy to ditch your crew for the "newer, shinier" touring professionals (although DMB's crew no doubt has big respect in the industry I imagine). But DMB, like PJ and a few other bands who've been around for AGES are really loyal to their crews, and that's a beautiful thing.

Ok that's enough, hope those were intersting to you!
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote