Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - The National
Thread: The National
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #2232
iMAC386
BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The National

Reading a Frightened Rabbit article, found this interesting blurb about Aaron Dessner producing their last album:

The band co-produced that one with Aaron Dessner of The National. Did you feel like using someone who’s known for more lush productions made you head in that direction?
I think Aaron naturally pulled us in his direction. But I was willing to go there! I wanted to go there! I’m a really big fan of The National. Maybe you don’t want to be kind of in awe of the person who’s making your record. Maybe it makes the discussions a little more difficult to have. “You’ve done all this cool shit, you’re probably right!” There are probably times when I should have stepped in. But that’s not his fault. At the same time, he was probably most excited by songs like “Die Like a Rich Boy” as well. So maybe we went in with songs thinking that we’d sound a little bit like The National, because I fucking love that sound, and he was second-guessing it, too. There was a little bit of miscommunication there, I think, but all in all I’m pretty happy with it. The nice thing about that album is I know that we don’t want to make it again. We can move on, having discovered what we want from our records going forward.
iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote