Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - What gear are you using?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
jmkratt
You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What gear are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
Yeah, my taste in acoustics far exceeds my available disposable income (I have none). When I had disposable income or would have prioritized getting a high-end Larrivee, Lowden, Martin, or Taylor I was generally (and foolishly) more focused on electrics. When I got my Tak LTD I was ina shop and compared it to every Taylor (before there were "cheap" Taylors) and Martin cutaway in the store. Honestly, the Tak sounded equal or better. The Taylors probably played the best, but I'm pretty adaptable, so I went with what sounded the best to my ears. Similar situation about six or so years later with the second Tak. My only issue with either now is the nut width, I wish they both had 1 3/4" instead of the their 1 11/16". I'm working on getting new nuts that cut wider to get a little more space, but I'm always leery of messing with acoustics. Electrics, especially Fender-style bolt-ons I have little concern about or fear of modding.

PRS CEs are essentially every bit as good as the regular set-neck guitars, just different recipe. MY CE-22 has the alder body under the maple top. Combined with the maple neck, it sounds quite different than the mahogany bodies and necked 24 fret custom. American-made PRSes are excellent instruments, all the more so if you like their sound and feel...which many folks do not.
I hear that! If the Taks sounded bet then that's the way to go! I've never experienced widening a nut on an acoustic. I did on an old electric I had and it worked fine.

If I were to get another electric, which again I don't plan on any time soon, it would definitely be another PRS. I love them. I looked into SE's a few years ago and ultimately passed, I'd go after the real deal.