Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - DMB Vinyl Releases
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #17
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Vinyl Releases

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
I have both an Audio Tehnica LP-120 and a Rega RP1. Both are new enough to not have stylus ware, and both tone arms are properly balanced with the correct tracking force. Same issues on both tables.

Even still... the surface noise is one thing. The small scratches are the real issue. Mostly on the DMBLive releases. I haven't gotten one yet that I haven't needed to replace. And even the replacements are "ok, well, this is the best it's going to get" type scenario.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yeah, these have been pressed at Rainbo, one of the worst plants there is (soon to be "was", they are shutting down at the end of this month). The scuffing that is causing audible issues is almost certainly due to their lack of QA and potentially worse vinyl formulation/compounds mixed with their old machinery.

Now, I will say that a few of my black DMBLive pressings have visible scuffs that do not cause anything audible during playback. In these cases, while maybe not looking great, I don't find these to be cause for return.

I do wonder what DMB will do if they wish to continue the DMBLive series on vinyl now that Rainbo is gone. Using another pressing plant is likely to raise prices for what is essentially DMB's budget-line of vinyl releases

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote