Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Official Television Thread v2.0
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #58
Beebz
Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Television Thread v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Evans View Post
While House of Cards is great drama, I wish there were more likeable characters. But I suppose this is true to life in some respects e.g. how politicians behave.
Agree completely. I thought Russo and his secretary are pretty likable, but that's all I'll say about that for now. Don't want to spoil anything.

House of Cards suffers from many of the same problems that drowned Boss -- to much Machiavellian scheming among horrible people. There's no one to root for. There's a difference between a flawed antihero like Vic Mackey or Walter White and a completely amoral sociopath like Frank Underwood or Claire Underwood or Kate Mara's reporter character. I don't know how far you are in the series so I won't divulge too much, but some horrible shit goes down late. Doesn't mean its not fantastically entertaining, just hard to connect with.

I also thought you really have to suspend belief and accept that characters make stupid decisions at critical times in order for it all to come together. There's a plot in the second half that becomes crucial to the story that hinges on one character making several extremely questionable decisions under flimsy circumstances. If he didn't, nothing would have panned out. You'll see what I mean when you get there, but it's glaring in its chain of ridiculousness.

Still, it's a really strong show and compulsively entertaining. Watch it.
Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote