Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #61
Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
I think that Tim Reynolds was at least the 3rd choice by the time he joined in 2008.
I thought more about this and I should consider that perhaps Tim was the first choice, said no, then eventually said yes. I've never asked him when he was first asked to join the band again.

My comment really only relates to this thread in that Norlander is also obviously very interested in learning about / solving various DMB mysteries. The decision to abort the Lillywhite Sessions was the turning point, and it set the stage for what has been 20+ years of intrigue. But the more I think about it, maybe the period of time leading up to the Lillywhite Sessions should be more closely looked at in addition to the sessions themselves? Norlander discussed things that have been rumored about as far as why Dave may been feeling down, and of course he & Lillywhite cast doubt on the entire premise that he was feeling overly down anyway. But I can't help but wonder what might have led up to the Lillwhite Sessions, more on the business side than band side, that may have put extra pressure on the band & Flohr? Perhaps the early returns, combined with some disappointment in BTCS' commercial success, might have played more of a role in the sessions being aborted than the band "not feeling it" ?

I think that Lillywhite thinks that Flohr caused the band to mutiny, and I agree with him. I think Flohr convinced the band to give up because he needed to have an industry darling type of record to recover from the dip between Crash & BTCS. Everyday was what he wanted to do, and he convinced the band to do it. Everyday had the commercial success that he & RCA wanted from the band, the success that Lillywhite Sessions, in his eyes, couldn't have. The leak forced him to reconsider, and it should be noted that the biggest difference between Busted Stuff & Lillywhite Sessions is the radio friendly nature, specifically the hit Where Are You Going. IF Where Are You Going had existed during the Lillywhite Sessions, might that have been enough to convince Flohr not to pull the plug? You never know.
Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote