Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Boyd sitting in with DMTB?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #30
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Boyd sitting in with DMTB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
Hadn't some people said that everyone was surprised that Boyd showed up for the Concert for Charlottesville? The impression I got was that he was out for a while before the Crystal Garden stuff came out, and it was mostly just an unfortunate coincidence that Boyd made the announcement at the same time as the allegations. At most, perhaps the imminent release of that lawsuit may have been the prompt to make public his departure from the band, which had already been decided months prior.
I find it hard to believe that the band was surprised by Boyd playing the gig. But I bet there's folks just outside the circle who had heard Boyd was out of the band prior to this show, and they were surprised to then see Boyd on stage (just as surprised as most of us were to see Butch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
I'm still curious to know everything that went into his departure, which will likely never be known. They had stated when announcing the 25th anniversary tour in 2016 that they would be taking a break in 2017, and with the scrapping of the 2015/2016 studio sessions with Cavallo, I can't help but wonder if it was known as far back as early 2016 that Boyd would not be staying with the band. Give him the 25th anniversary tour as his last one, and then cut him loose.
I'm also curious about this period. Between the sessions being scrapped, and the announcement of a 2017 break, I certainly think it's possible 2016 was planned to be Boyd's last tour. Being at the Sunday show at the Gorge that year, I felt some emotional energy from Boyd. And watching back on the DVD release (LT44) I can see it. Could've just been due to it being the final show of the year + the year off.
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote