Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 12:26 AM   #17
seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41#36#40 View Post
Ye! The sets were underwhelming and essentially the same thing they were doing in 18/19 with minor adjustments.. no effort.. yet.. to get more diverse songs into the set.. compare the N1 of this tour with the Chile show from 16 where they had an awesome mix of songs and new ones.. this seemed like what they do when they have a radio or tv or festival show.. just play it safe as possible.. you know Dave wanted to do a ddtw and everyday opener and just had to talk himself out out of it.. since that typically 2 of 4 of his standard openers for big shows.

I’m grateful they’re playing and will be excited to see them.. but they dropped the ball big time on those shows. And the album and not so much as mentioning 30 years.. most bands would have had a big party.. and there was a lot to celebrate and they treated it like it was a mid tour Tuesday night in Iowa..
I don't feel like they dropped the ball at all on these shows. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely and don't understand where the negativity is coming from.

They busted out rarities, mixed in a variety of tunes from every era, debuted a new song and had the live debut of two others we knew. People seem to forget that the band has a new base catalogue with Buddy being in the mix, and refuse to let that change happen naturally, instead pining for the days when they were literally a different group of musicians. Three tours in, and there's a solid sense of camaraderie. They are playing some DMB tunes I love and some DMB tunes that I don't mind walking around meeting all the kind people to.

I don't love everything they've ever done, just like everything else in the world. But the fact that one has to preface every convo about DMB with Dave Matthews Band 'fans' by saying something to that effect is ridiculous.

The band is doing great, and I like this new era. I am beyond happy with this weekend, with all its ups and downs, and I wish people would just let themselves enjoy an experience here instead of pick every little thing apart like DMB is a sports franchise.

Last edited by seanbrutus; 07-25-2021 at 12:27 AM.
seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote