Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
splack03

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
Your argument is flawed. You say:

...but if these same songs had been given to Cavallo/Harris (or especially Batson or Ballard) the production would not be as good, resulting in a much worse product. I guess what I'm trying to say is Steve Lillywhite brings out the most in the band, and really leaves his mark on each album he produces. I do not think as good a product would've resulted with any other producer. It's not really fair to just say "if the names were swapped" because the end product would be much different.

Therefore yes, it deserves the praise it gets.
There is nothing "flawed" about his argument. He is simply putting forward a hypothetical where, say, DMB management pulled a fast one on everyone and lied about who the real producer was. Of course it is more likely (although certainly not guaranteed) that Lillywhite would put out a better record than comparable producers, but that doesn't take away from his argument. And, for the record, I completely agree with this argument; if we were to associate any of DMB's other producers with this album fans would like it slightly less (although the real problems are the actual songs themselves, specifically the mail-in lyrics)
splack03 is offline   Reply With Quote