Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #617
drgonzotx

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUnTwoStepToo View Post
I doubt they'll ever have a guest violin. There would be such an outcry for a permanent violin after seeing a guest and I don't think the band would want to deal with that.

I have zero insider knowledge, I just see that they didn't rush to add an violinist after Boyd's departure. It's for a reason.
I could not agree anymore! Most conjecture about Boyd's departure has to do with his behavior personally and professionally but I think nobody but the band knows what happened and why. Whatever happened with Boyd leaving in my opinion had nothing to do with why we have no violin anymore. I have been seeing this band since 1999 and around 2005 the violin's mix started getting quieter and Tim's guitar started being mixed louder as well as the addition of the Trumpet. In my opinion...if it were just Boyd there would be a violin right now...I think Dave started pulling the sound of the band away from the violin way back then and that was one of the reasons why Boyd disconnected from the band. Then when all that sexual misconduct went public (Band knew about this stuff in the 90s) it was the opening Dave was looking for to finally get rid of the violin.

The thing with Dave is that he always does what he wants and doesn't particularly care about what the fans want...it's just up until 2005 (or perhaps even before during the Everyday sessions) what Dave wanted meshed with what the fans wanted but that was the fork in the road where what Dave wanted was diverging from what the majority of fans wanted.

Just a hypothesis but one that I think accounts for a lot of what we are seeing and why there was never a violin after Boyd left.
drgonzotx is offline   Reply With Quote