Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #90
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
I'm not sure if it was a matter of being upset, I think it was more along the lines of: Crash performed better, cost less to create and promote, had bigger hits, had a more positive/radio friendly vibe. BTCS was much darker, was more heavily promoted (both overseas and in the US), the production & promotion costs were higher, it lacked Too Much/So Much To Say/Billies or What Would You Say/Satellite/Ants type of hits, and ultimately was not as commercially successful as it's predecessor even though it cost more money than it's predecessor. I think that Flohr wanted to avoid the path he thought the band was on and correct it to something that was more popular for the LA crowd.

It was kinda like Crash was a World Series Championship team and BTCS was a playoff team that got eliminated in the first round. Maybe BTCS was the better team (in the fans eyes) but Crash brought a championship parade to DMB, and once you taste that level of success anything less is failure. BTCS was great in many ways but it didn't eclipse its predecessor in any way that mattered to the music industry. I love BTCS so I don't want to come across as critical, I'm just trying to be objective and I genuinely believe that it not being as successful as Crash played a role in the plug being pulled on the Lillywhite Sessions.
Definitely speaks more to the mindset of a lot of the industry at the time. Were not necessarily progressive thinkers.