Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #69
ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
I think Cavallo was a fantastic producer for albums like American Idiot and The Black Parade. Those are two iconic albums of the 00's. I think he did an okay job on Big Whiskey... I hear the potential in those songs but Cavallo is notorious for being a "one-take Jake" type of producer... I've heard him in interviews say that the most passion is in those first 3 takes. And I think that translated to Dave's songwriting. A lot of the lyrics on Big Whiskey feel like first drafts.
I say this a lot around here, but I really believe Cavallo is the best producer for this version of DMB. He has great rock instincts but is also really playful in his layering and recording. I think he unlocks the best of what this band wants to be. The Cavallo relationship is the Carson mystery I'm the most obsessed with because there was just SO. MUCH. music that was basically done that we haven't heard. And not even just the Cavallo Sessions. It seems like Dave was ready to keep working with Cavallo, but then it just didn't happen.

I'm obviously not Carson, but it's always been my speculation that the earlier 08 studio sessions were just really slow going. And that by the time they had to go on tour, they just didn't have much to work with, at least in terms of complete ideas. This is a band that will never hesitate to play new songs whenever they want to- it's actually funny because for as much trouble as they have releasing studio efforts, they LOVE new songs. And they weren't playing any in 08. My bet is they planned to return to the studio after the tour keep grinding and maybe that album never saw the light of day like so many others.

I think a lot of Big Whiskey was REALLY, truly crafted after Roi died. I bet it lit a fire under them, Dave especially, to work like hell to complete that album. We know they recorded a ton of songs for BW, (and as Carson has mentioned even recorded songs AFTER those sessions) since there were the LRB songs and Cornbread and #27 (and then I swear I heard Shotgun was even in the mix). I think the "rushed" feeling came from having the Spring 09 goal, and, just like with CT and now this album, they probably had a hard time deciding what would go where. And then it felt like the Spring mix that was leaked wasn't quite finished so once they decided what tracks were going to make BW, they took those extra months to polish?
ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote