Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - New Album Coming in One Week!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #72
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Instead of little snippets of tunes w/ Roi or songs that include him where he isn't really featured, they should release the recorded versions of as many of the songs that he was on as possible. The fans would eat it up, his family/estate could get more royalties, these songs could get added to sets, etc.

I get sitting on stuff that you've moved away from as an artist (at least in theory), but these songs are a part of Roi's legacy and one of the only chances for it to grow. I also think about someone like Zappa who'd take a solo from one his player's feature from live shows and literally write a song around it. From what we've been told over the years, Roi would lay down lots of versions of stuff that could be applied to other pieces if the band were interested. Of course, it could be emotionally difficult and that's likely part of why they haven't done much with the archival stuff featuring Roi.

I would love to hear as much stuff as they have in the can from Roi as possible. Perfection shouldn't be goal, especially from a band that's all about the live performances. Releasing demo versions, alternate takes, unreleased stuff, etc. has been a regular practice for decades, especially for artists that have passed. Atlantic has released almost every note that Coltrane played in the studio when he was on their roster...
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote