Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Live Trax Vol. 58: Deer Creek Theatre - Noblesville, IN - 6/22/2000
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #169
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Vol. 58: Deer Creek Theatre - Noblesville, IN - 6/22/2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Love that list! lol

I uploaded the vast majority of those, which is why the formatting of the LT and DMBLive series is very uniform - I would never claim DR is anything but one facet of overall quality. However, in the vast majority of cases where the vinyl release is mastered separately to a day and date release by the same mastering engineer, the DRC is typically the major, if not the only, difference.

To that point the Peppers50 vinyl release was the best choice as it was the only one with no peak limiting - Miles Showell confirmed there were zero other differences (eQ etc). The Blu-ray inexplicably had the peak limited 24/96 stereo master on it. By the time they did The Beatles50 they had listened to "our" complaints and the Blu-rays from that point onwards included the unlimited vinyl cutting master and they eased off on the DRC they had used with Peppers (even the surround master was pretty hot).

Quality has so many factors, as an example for some bit depth and sampling rate is of utmost importance - I would rather have well-mastered 320 Kbps mp3s than aggressively mastered 24/96 FLACs. For me, anything with heavy-handed DRC cannot be considered audiophile.

That’s quite interesting (at least for me). We are going a bit off topic here, but since you seem to know much, let me ask you a couple of questions:

• which program did you use to estimate DR from DMB albums?
• if I understood right, it doesn’t make too much sense to compare DR from different albums, but instead you can compare the different versions (vinyl vs digital) of the same album. Is that correct?
• what is the purpose to apply dynamic compression, for example on the case that you mentioned? Why they do that, and what happened that forced you to complain?
• can you explain better what you mean with aggressive mastering?