Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ants Podcast 96: Adios, Mono Loco - Episode Discussion
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #26
FeelingGood
Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 96: Adios, Mono Loco - Episode Discussion

(I didn't see a thread for yesterday's Gorge N1 podcast - 8-31-18) Matt's theory about new fans liking the band for their most recent release may be right, idk, but just thought I would offer my experience as a data point.

I watched the Radio City show on blu-ray back in 2009 and immediately dug into DMB's back catalog to listen to everything I could get my hands on. I remember the DMB site used to have all the Live Trax posted so that you could listen to everything online...that really helped expose me to the big three. Going back and looking at older YouTubes was also a big influence and really helped me love the way DMB was back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I wish I could have gone to shows back then, but I just wasn't in a place to get into it. Big Whiskey had been out about a year when I became a fan...and I liked it...but it didn't sweep me up like the first 3-4. I just think that if you're a new fan and you really love the music, you're not going to just focus on the most recent release....it's waaaaay too easy today to go back in time and discover the band the way it used to be. Even from 2000 to 2009, you could easily access the Live Trax releases to get a sense of the band's earlier years. It just depends on the person...are they motivated enough to go back and spend the time and effort to do the discovery? Maybe the average fan wouldn't make that effort, idk. Maybe I'm one of the statistical outliers. That's my take on it.