Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Summer Tour 2022: Sirius XM rips by Xcacel
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #46
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Summer Tour 2022: Sirius XM rips by Xcacel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolIntheRain View Post
Interesting to know all this! I'm a musician, and completely understand recording the original source as close as you can to the sound you want. Ideally just capture it perfectly and don't touch it is the goal. OF course, everyone has to but minimizing it is the key.

I just assumed the XM shows were a "live" matrix of SBD and AUD. So not sure why that sound would come off warbly and muddy like a 128 mp3 does unless the signal they are using to broadcast is weak at times or something. I've noticed some shows, like the Denver show get worse as the shows goes on.

I understand the broadcast not being lossless quality as well.

Your tape ares great! Thanks for all you've done for us over the years!!

The Denver show didn't have great sound to begin with, being there in person. Don't know if the cold/moisture had anything to do with it, but it sounded like an amateur was running the mix. It got better both nights around song 7 or so when they start to turn it up, but the first few songs both nights were pretty rough mixes.

I know they no longer do soundcheck, so I wonder if they used previous settings from the venue and the humidity levels were completely different as Denver is usually as dry as it gets. Don't know how much that effects it.

Now I remember something else in a video interview by Marcus @monizzle to Ari from SXM. If I al not wrong they talked about the issue, and Ari said that they’ve been working hard to improve the quality of the streams, and mentioned that Rob (Evans), is working with them, today. That was confirmed in another interview by Ari to Dave.
And I don’t know where, I’ve heard that the broadcast signal from the App / web is much better than the one from the car-radio, and richer of information. I guess is a matter of bandwidth. The extreme quality from the web was, infact, quite good, this year.
Combining all of that, and considering that Evans knows his job, the explanation that I gave to myself is that the majority of the problems are happening during the downstream on site. Quick connections and stupid stuff like that. In Denver it was amazing how they could have lost the stream, for two songs. This is the bottleneck imo.