Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Glen Ballard
Thread: Glen Ballard
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #42
spicyitalian739
Voluntarist.

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Glen Ballard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotheRadioStarfan View Post
Glen Ballard is a great writer and a damn good producer. Everyday plays better as a solo record, but it is a DAMN good pop album. One of my favorites ever.

The best thing Glen did, though, was get them out of Virginia.
It's no Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, or even (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Maybe if you compare it to Hollywood bubblegum pop then it's a good pop album, but I consider some of what Radiohead does to be pop, and Everyday is nowhere near that level. It may be terse, but what it lacks in complexity it also lacks in soul. tLWS had complexity AND soul.

This all reminds me of when my own band broke up. We spent years writing excellent music, but wrote our best 3 songs the few months right before we broke up, but had no idea at the time. It's like you're looking for gold and just digging a hole down below the ground and you fall and end up in an actual gold mine, but it's fucking dark--so instead of lighting a match, you give up and say "it's too dark in here, let's get the hell out!!!"

That's what I think happened to DMB in 1999-2000. The were actually down in the gold mine and all they had to do was take a step back and turn on a flashlight, but instead they got the fuck out of there. It's so sad.
spicyitalian739 is offline   Reply With Quote