Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Carter Beauford
Thread: Carter Beauford
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #220
RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
I think Carter peaked between 2013 and 2016. So much energy, but he tamed it and applied it ingeniously into his fills and beats. He’s still my favorite drummer and I’d still consider him to be at the very top of the “best drummers in the world” list, but it’s quite obvious that he hit a bit of a decline starting in 2018 with The Night Before 2/3/18 performance. Since then, he’s been slowly improving and getting his game back on, and now he’s close to where he was in 2016 but not quite all the way there. For one, the energy in his playing seems to have decreased. He “overplays” less than he used to. But this is all expected with age too - I credit him for playing to the best of his abilities and doing what he can! He’s 61.
Carter peaked between 2003-2007. That was the peak of his creativity, inventiveness and unique fusion elements. Look at how colorful and musical his playing was at that point. So many great musical conversations went on in the band. The Two Step jams with Butch? Incredible musicianship. Fantastic ideas.

Once 2008 hit and Timmy arrived, we got “bash and crash Carter - now with more double bass and China action!” The nuance left his playing, being substituted for more double bass and China cymbal reliance. He became more of a “heavy hitter” than a “painter of colors”. Two Step with Timmy is/was a tattered shell of the masterpiece it used to be. It’s that hot girl from high school who, when you come home ten years later, has 4 kids, a cigarette hanging from mouth and track marks all over.

Carter with Butch is peak Carter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
Primitive things stir
The hearts of everyone
RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote