Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Carter Beauford
Thread: Carter Beauford
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #108
darren783

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

Only my 2-cents: I remember the show I attended in September and recall thinking to myself......he's still got it. Nothing newsbreaking there, BUT, I do have a good bit of experience in drum/percussion music having been extensively involved in "band" growing up and marching drumlines and fiddled with a kit here and there. The way I find Carter's work different (and thereby "better" to me) than some of his peers is that he's works in a lot of rudiments into his kit style that makes his drumming far more technical than most. Sure lots of guys can bash hard, fast and make lots of noise......cue Lars Ulrich and other historically-metal drummers but my background in rudimental studies gives me, personally, a far greater appreciation for what carter does show after show after show. I've seen Danny Carey live w/ Tool and he's probably my second favorite for similar reasons, both studio tunes and his live performance are very technical, as with Carter. Neil w/ Rush right up there with them, but a lot of those others.......The Police, etc. give me a break, no where near these other three.

Carter's ability to use his entire kit with ridiculous add-in touches and a true "percussionist" practice of using all his little gizzmo's as he accompanies Dave on lighter tunes (see Loving Wings, #40, etc.) are the mark of a true master of his craft, not just a "drummer" of which there are countless posers around the world. As far as his progression or digression, I really love Carter's work on the big whiskey tunes and how they've translated live, if you listen closely there's a ton of off-beat fills and notes much as he's made a habit of over the years. I admittedly know nothing about guitars or any other stringed instrument but drums I like to think I can talk-shop with folks. again, just my 2 pennies.
darren783 is offline   Reply With Quote