Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #5816
crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryFreedom17 View Post
2 unpopular opinions

1. I can't stand Jeff. He overplays all of the time. He's style is too aggressive. Look at him during DDTW and pretty much everything he does. He is going to pop a vein in that bald head of his. Roi was smooth and knew when to bring it and when he did, it was full of passion. Jeff is just loud and often times obnoxious.

2. I love Rashawn...but maybe...just maybe...not every DMB song calls for a trumpet. That's all. Hes awesome. I love the man. But i never thought you know what every single DMB song needs? A trumpet.

Edit: Oh and Tim should play acoustic guitar with the band. DMB doesn't need an electric guitar player full time
#2 has been really annoying me lately. Idk if it’s the mixing of Sirius streams, the EQ of my music app, or a combo of all of it, but the most prominent sound in so much of what I’ve been listening to is the goddamn squeaking trumpet over everything. Jeff gets a sax solo? Can’t hear it because Rashawn is playing at the same time and much louder. The trumpet has its place in some stuff, but it’s WAY too prominent these days and needs to tone down. Everything the horns do sounds like it’s coming in through a funnel and it doesn’t sound good.

I’d honestly rather have Tim turned up and the horns turned down at this point. It’s just getting too grating to the ears. Even at MSG last year, I was really taken aback by how piercing the horns sounded. At least to my ears, it sounds like the mix turned down Tim Carter and Stefan, turned up Rashawn and Buddy, and left Jeff and Dave at the same level.

Thinking of that one video of Dave talking about Rashawn and everything he’s done, as well as bringing in Buddy, coupled with his insecure Insta posts and how prominent the trumpet is on everything kinda made me think this band is more the Rashawn Ross Band than the Dave Matthews Band.