Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - ***Official Ants Photography Thread***
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #3909
BTCS_JTR
The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by diableri View Post
If you know what focal lengths you're going to favor from past experience then I would get a body without a kit lens. Just buy the lenses you know you prefer. If this is a first experience, the 18-135 is fine to get your feet wet. After a few thousand shots, go back and see where you shot the most (as in focal length) and then you can consider buying better/faster lenses in those ranges.

The canon 50 1.8 and or 40 2.8 are such a good bargains for their price to performance that I'd consider picking one of those up as well and if choosing, I'd recommend the 40 over the 50. There's nearly zero impact in carrying it as a faster lens than the kit 18-135 you're already considering for lower light stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
plus, i wouldn't buy a 50 until canon release the updated 50 1.4 (even at the beginner level).

the 35 f/2 is a suitable lens that would compete with the 40 f/2.8. the 35 is (marginally) sharper than the 40 at f/2.8, but has arguably better focusing and IS. It's also +$250-300.

i'd recommend the 40 over the current 50 (1.4 or 1.8), but the 35 over both.
Very helpful. Thank you!
BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote