Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - ***Official Rank the AFTW Songs Thread***
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #104
conspiersacy

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Rank the AFTW Songs Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
It's just insane how well produced Mercy is.
i absolutely agree. i think it may be one of the best recordings (not to be confused with songs) they've ever produced. it's got such gentle layering and an incredible build. i can't remember the last time i heard such a simple song have such a full sound. every note is right. every sound is right. everything about it is right. and i absolutely love the drum part. it's just another case of carter playing something no one else would even consider, but playing it in a way that it's the only way it should even be played. who else would have the sense or balls to play that badass hi-hat work so far in the background and place those tom and snare hits tastefully between the other instruments and vocals like that (1:18 through 1:26, for example)? i think he shines more on "mercy" than he does on almost any other song on the album. it reminds me quite a bit of his work on "pig" or "lover lay down," which are two other instances of him creating a quiet monster of a drum part around a fairly simple song.

Last edited by conspiersacy; 09-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.
conspiersacy is offline   Reply With Quote