Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Bottom line? F$@% the trumpet
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #87
LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Bottom line? F$@% the trumpet

The only Rashawn parts that bug me are:

- OSW intro should be sax only, and Jeff should play it more smoothly / less staccato like Roi used to (see: Piedmont Park)
On that release Rashawn still plays but comes in after Roi’s 3 solo notes and it sounds perfect

- Rhyme and Reason horn part - only because Rashawn mirrors Jeff and doesn’t play Boyd’s missing harmony

I’d prefer a sax solo over a trumpet solo any day, but that’s nothing against Rashawn by any means... I just prefer the sound of a saxophone over a trumpet. Similarly, Tim has the potential to be great during most solos, but I’d still prefer to hear a violin solo over a guitar solo even if Boyd’s solos are less technically challenging to play.

I do think having a solo sax player is more conducive to improv, but I think more that it’s Jeff’s style and less Rashawn having anything to do with it... I mean Rashawn was there with Leroi and things didn’t really change. Rashawn is very musically talented and I appreciate his contributions in a lot of places.

And to all of you sharing videos of squealing, I think they are very jazzy and appropriate for the music. I enjoy them.

Last edited by LaLaLaLaHey; 07-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.
LaLaLaLaHey is offline   Reply With Quote