Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - *** Official Denver, CO 2022
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Official Denver, CO 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
Why'd they play there in 2005? At that point they had been selling out arenas and large amphitheaters for years.
Honestly, I think the only reason DMB played in 2005 is become PBS paid them to play there so they could record an episode of Soundstage. PBS's fee, and the money they anticipated making from DVD and CD sales, financially incentivized them to play there instead of a larger venue where their profit margins would be greater. I know a lot of people like to think of 2005 as some triumphant return to Red Rocks the band did for the fans, but in reality those shows were probably catalyzed by PBS reaching out to them and their desire to record a DVD at a venue with a lot of name recognition to maximize sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
What if a big name artist were to make Red Rocks a residency for 10 dates? Could they make it worth it financially? Obviously Pearl Jam and DMB could sell out all 10 dates easily. There are acts that have made Vegas a residency, of course like Aerosmith that it must have been worth it and Billy Joel plays MSG all the time. If DMB during October of 2021 after the Gorge played a 10 date residency at Red Rocks, maybe they could bump up the price a tad make it worth DMB's while?
I’m not sure if they could move 90,000 tickets, maybe in 2000 they could pull that off but I don’t think they could now—especially in October when people would be significantly less likely to travel to the shows. The venue probably wouldn't give anyone that many dates in the summer; Red Rocks literally has one of the most crowded calendars of any venue in the country. I think you could see D&T at Red Rocks soon but the band is still a long time away from that type of venue downsizing.