Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #28
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

I feel like they came out swinging with a little something for everyone. These sets are the most diverse we’ve seen in years, and while some of the tunes like You and Me or If Only may be considered a dud, I’ll take those sandwiched between some classics, new tunes and songs like Sweet Up and Down, Hello Again, Grey Street (with the fucking 3rd verse!!!), Minarets, You Never Know and Raven.

Oceans and the Butterfly is my favorite of the new ones. Sounds like DMB and they need to let Jeff run free on that one. Walk Around the Moon is not great lyrically but I’m going to give that one some time. Grey Street sounds better than it has in years. Buddy even played a bit of Boyd’s line at the end! They played it with control and dynamics and it wasn’t the wall of sound it’s been for 10 years. They could probably call the tour quits right now and I’d be satisfied with that alone.

All in all I think people are crazy to complain about these first two sets. They literally do what the fans want, “bring back rarities! Mix up the sets! Bring back the third verse! Slow things down and quit with the wall of sound!” and yet here we are watching the whining and complaining start after two shows. Are there things they could have done different? Sure, but this is a band that has 30 years of music history behind them. They aren’t going to hone in on every classic Before These Crowded Streets song or rarity to please the couple hundred whiney fans from Ants. Oh, and not sure if anyone else noticed but……..they didn’t play Jimi Thing all freaking weekend!!!
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote